Using X-Edit with Condition Tags

This Forum for all general issues about Contributor
htran
Propeller Head

Using X-Edit with Condition Tags

Post by htran »

I have a manual containing condition tags (one set for installations and one set for upgrades) that I want to send out for review using X-Edit.
How do I deal with condition tags so that reviewers can see the document using either set (but not both at the same time)?

Thanks!
Heidi
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Using X-Edit with Condition Tags

Post by SteveS »

Hello Heidi,

AFAIK you can't create 2 review topics using condition tags - it sort of goes against single source concepts.

That having been said I think its a worthwhile feature - you can submit a feature request here.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
htran
Propeller Head

Post by htran »

Thanks, Steve.
We have already submitted a feature request for this.
What I want to do is to send one topic for review, which contains condition tags. Is there already a method for doing this using X-Edit, when you want to not show one or more conditions, and you don’t want to generate a PDF to do it?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Hi Heide,

I don't think you can do what you want in the way you are thinking.

If I read your posting correctly, you want to send stuff for review that only shows the part of the topic you want reviewed. A workaround might be to lock the content you don't want changed.

HTH
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
peregrine
Propeller Head

Post by peregrine »

Struggling with this same issue here - locking the content doesn't help if the reviewer can't tell that two paragraphs containing conflicting info are for two different audiences. Not to mention the reading comprehension problems when words within a sentence are conditioned for separate audiences! We would love to use X-Edit Review -- in fact we need it badly -- but the reviewers have asked us not to bother them with topics where multiple conditions apply.
Ann Pai
spree10
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by spree10 »

I'm running into a similar situation, I'm the one doing the conditioning using X-edit and to review my work, I'd like to be able to print these topics before I send them back to the team that will use them in Flare. But when I print, I want to be able to select a condition(s). I haven't found a way yet.