Where are Git credentials stored?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
richt
Propeller Head

Where are Git credentials stored?

Post by richt »

The token for my GitHub repositories recently changed. Now every time I open a Flare project, I get a 403 error that Password authentification is not available.

The problem isn't Git, because in GitHub Desktop I just signed out and back in, and everything works. The problem isn't the Flare registry folder, because I've deleted that and restarted projects, and still have the error.

So how can I provide the updated token/password/SSH key without destroying the entire project and starting again?
Lsawyer
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Where are Git credentials stored?

Post by Lsawyer »

Adding a +1 to this question. Any help out there?
jhyde
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by jhyde »

We have this same question as well due to a similar issue.
mzdanio
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by mzdanio »

I'm also curious where credentials are stored as I need to know how to reset them.

I'm wondering if they are in the Credential Manager (Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager)?
marvin mallari
MadCap Staff

Post by marvin mallari »

Post by mzdanio on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:48 pm

I'm also curious where credentials are stored as I need to know how to reset them.

I'm wondering if they are in the Credential Manager (Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager)?
The Credential Manager is one location. However, after digging a bit more, the credentials appear to be stored in the registry(Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MadCap Software\Flare) in these numbered folders. Hope this helps.
debdebtig
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by debdebtig »

I had a lot of fun with our repository password issues. I've found the following out:

1. If possible use a personal access token instead of a password to access the git repository from Flare (saves you from many issues).
2. Flare and GIT save your password to both a registry key for Flare and to the credential manager that is set in GIT, this can be changed. By default, it is the windows credential manager.
3. If the git password breaks go into the registry and delete the key mentioned in the post above (deleting the whole madcap registry folder doesn't hurt anything, thankfully). This will prompt you for your password instead of the unauthorized error and you'll be good to go.

Bonus tip:
If you check in .gitignore for a multiuser project you'll keep overwriting each other's copy of it in your registry. Recommended solution: Add .gitignore to the exclude file in the .git folder at /.git/info/exclude. Note that the .git folder and .gitignore are hidden files.

Hope this helps others trying to make GIT behave with Flare.

~Deb
:flare: 2022r2 :capture: v7