Update Local Files button and workflow question

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
RiverMonster
Sr. Propeller Head

Update Local Files button and workflow question

Post by RiverMonster »

Hello,

I have a few doubts regarding how source control works between Flare and Central...

1. Update latest local files button
The MadCapCentral window (View > MadcapCentral) has a button with tooltip "Upload latest local files to MadCap Central".
The Flare online help file implies that this button is for use in a dual-bound scenario. So...a) why is it still enabled in a single-bound scenario? b) what happens if you click it in a single bound scenario?

2. Synchronization vs Commit, Pull, Push
Due to a synch issue we had, Madcap advised us not to use the Synch button, but instead to "commit then pull then push". My doubt is what is the difference between doing this and doing a "pull then commit then push" ?

Thanks

Adrian
RiverMonster
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Update Local Files button and workflow question

Post by RiverMonster »

Regarding my second question, I have just seen that if you attempt to pull before committing then a msg will appear telling you that you must first commit.

I'm guessing that when you pull there is a check for conflicts with your local files and for this check to occur the files must be committed?
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Update Local Files button and workflow question

Post by doloremipsum »

RE number 1, I suspect that all it does is push your latest changes to Madcap Central. Not sure why it's a separate button.

RE number 2, a synchronise is just a pull, then a push. Before you pull you must commit any changes you have, so you must also do this before you synchronise.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.