2021 R3 Source Control is Broken

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.

2021 R3 Source Control is Broken

Postby Wyatt Stueven on Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:37 am

Good Morning All,

My company has published a certain way for a while and it has always worked. With the newest update all of my destinations are broken and when I try to publish I get the message "Publish failed: The given key was not present in the dictionary" We used to select origin as our remote repository but that option no longer exists. Any ideas?
Wyatt Stueven
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: 2021 R3 Source Control is Broken

Postby Nita Beck on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:54 pm

MadCap identified an issue with Git source control interaction and has termporarily stopped offering 2021 r3 while they work on a solution. In the meantime, you should roll back to 2021 r2 and await MadCap's release of the corrected version of r3. If you need the installer for r2, go here and supply your license key: https://www.madcapsoftware.com/downloads/licensed-products/

See also community member's Paul Perhson's discussion at https://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33607.

HTH
Nita
Content Strategist / Information Architect / Flare Consultant: http://beck-communications.com
Manager, Rochester Flare User Group: http://www.facebook.com/RochesterFlareUserGroup
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Postby mjbowerman on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm

Flare 2021 R3 Source Control with Perforce is also broken. Been dealing with a world of woe since upgrading on 1/12/21. Reverting back to R2 now.
mjbowerman
Jr. Propeller Head

Postby Wyatt Stueven on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:49 am

mjbowerman wrote:Flare 2021 R3 Source Control with Perforce is also broken. Been dealing with a world of woe since upgrading on 1/12/21. Reverting back to R2 now.

Be aware that when reverting back to R2 any project you in which you interacted with the destination will have a hidden .git folder that will not let you publish if you are trying to send it to remote. You will have to unbind it as a subrepository if it did so to be able to publish again. Make sure to check the config files too in case it created something along the lines of a #gitignore criteria inside. Good luck to the rest of you.
Wyatt Stueven
Jr. Propeller Head

Postby doloremipsum on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:02 pm

It looks like there's a new R3 version out - who's going to bite the bullet and try upgrading? If you do, report back on whether the problems are solved :P
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Postby andy_smith on Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:41 am

Like some sort of fool I instantly installed the Flare 2021 r3 update today. We use Git here but we have never used the Git tools in Flare. We treat the files in our Git folder as standalone local files and perform git push/pull updates at the beginning and end of every day.
After running the Flare 2021 r3 update today I started getting messages asking me if I want to pull the latest repository whenever I start Flare. To which I said no as I had done that this morning. I’ve never seen this before.
When I open a target (I’ve not see the popup on any other files yet) it’s asking for public and private keys on a popup titled Certificate Specification. I seem to have been able to cancel out of these popups and get to my Target file.
These popups seem to have gone away now although I may not have triggered them.
As a team we use Git outside of Flare but Flare 2021 r3 seem to be imposing its Git functionality on me. Is this a new default? Can I switch Git off?
I notice that this thread started in December. I got the upgrade notification today, 19th January. Are people still rolling this back? How is the rollback performed, through the Windows control panel or is there a feature within Flare?

[Edit] I've since noticed that I'm getting a red tick in the file name tab at the top of the main edit window (not in all files though, it doesn't appear in Targets). I've googled that and discovered that this indicates I'm working on a file that has been checked out. This is a little alarming as I should only be working with files on my C drive.
andy_smith
Jr. Propeller Head

Return to Source Control