Problem after trying to connect Flare to Subversion

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Juliane
Jr. Propeller Head

Problem after trying to connect Flare to Subversion

Post by Juliane »

Hi,

we tried to connect MC Flare to Subversion using the Push OK plug-in, which unfortunately did not work. The installation of Push OK worked more or less fine but it was not possible to bind the project to the plug-in. We gave up after some time.

We then manually added the Flare Content to Subversion and now have the following problem: In MadCap Flare, all files (even files that we did not manually add to Subversion!) are now read-only and marked with a little lock. According to the Flare help the lock designates the following:

"This indicates that the file is added to source control but is not currently checked out, which means that it contains a "Read Only" designation in its properties. In order to edit the file, you must check it out from source control."

I can still edit the files but need to confirm that I want to make it writable before I can save the changes. After checking out the files using TortoiseSVN the lock is there again for all files that I made writable. This is really annoying!

I do not know whether this problem is due to having tried to install Push Ok or due to importing the content into a Subversion repository. I have already deinstalled push OK from my computer but the problem persists. Do you have any ideas fellow Flare users?

Your help is appreciated.

Best regards,

Juliane
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Problem after trying to connect Flare to Subversion

Post by Paul Griffiths »

I recall an earlier post that recommended a plug-in other than PushOK. I haven't tried it myself.

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... =68&t=9202
Graham Campbell
Propeller Head

Post by Graham Campbell »

Not sure if you're still looking for help with this one, but I've recently installed Push OK and found it to be very usable.

The issue you're seeing may be because the project thinks it's still bound to the SVN repository, despite the fact that it failed to bind properly. You need to break the binding using either the Unbind Project button in Project Properties or manually editing the .flprj file and removing the references to your source control. I don't recommend the latter, and it should really only be tried as long as you have no other option and you've made sufficient back ups of your project!

As for Push OK itself, I'm fairly pleased with it. I was testing out the 30-day trial and, despite the odd warning messages that occasionally appear (odd due to either broken English or just because there actually isn't anything wrong), got myself a full license and have easily managed to bind existing and new projects to SVN with it. I admit that it certainly has its quirks, but as an alternative to VSS and Team Foundation (which my company do not have), it fits the bill. I'll happily post my notes here if you're still interested in using it.

What they really need is some decent documentation to accompany their plug-in :)
Paul Griffiths
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Paul Griffiths »

Hi Graham, I think the whole Flare community would benefit from your notes, if you have time to post them!
ksoltys
Propeller Head

Post by ksoltys »

Paul Griffiths wrote:Hi Graham, I think the whole Flare community would benefit from your notes, if you have time to post them!
I'll second that. We are looking at Subversion and this would be helpful.

Keith
Graham Campbell
Propeller Head

Post by Graham Campbell »

Okay, here it is in a brand new (and rather large, I warn you) post on the subject:

http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 68&t=10401

Hope it helps.

Graham