Flare support for TFS 2010 Beta?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
hoppo
Propeller Head

Flare support for TFS 2010 Beta?

Post by hoppo »

Our development department has informed me that we will be installing and running TFS 2010 Beta in the very near future. Does anyone from MadCap (or anywhere else for that matter) know whether Flare has support for TFS 2010 beta and whether we will still be able to use our source control as we do now?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare support for TFS 2010 Beta?

Post by RamonS »

I doubt that MadCap will make an official statement about support for a beta product. They haven't done so in the past and I cannot think of any good reason why they would now or in the future. That doesn't say that they won't support TFS2010 at some point.
The beta install, is that for evaluation purposes? I sure hope that this isn't for production use. After all, there is a reason why it is labeled "beta" and being a Microsoft product it will typically be OK for general use only after SP1 is out.
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Post by SteveS »

Without dictating policy...

The fact that TFS2010 is a beta release means that there are no guarantees it is compatible with the final release. Changes you make in the beta might be lost when the real deal hits the market.

For that reason, any development you do in 2010 should be paralelled by the same thing in your current source management solution. That means using TFS 2010 as a file management program only, book out the files you need in TFS, work in Flare, and then book the files back in manually. Of course, you might be lucky and it works painlessly from within Flare, but I'd still be working in paralell.
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
hoppo
Propeller Head

Post by hoppo »

hmmm, thanks for the input. I'll report them back to the dev mgr and see what he says.
Madcap Guru
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Madcap Guru »

I know in the past that Madcap Won't support Beta version of Browswers or other programs as they are too much in Flex, and they can change so dramatically, so I wouldn't use TFS 2010 Beta.
Rick Ferrell

Former Flare and Robohelp Support