Safely moving Flare project

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
skellington
Jr. Propeller Head

Safely moving Flare project

Post by skellington »

I have a bit of a novice question, and I've spent a couple of hours searching through the forums and the MadCap documentation, and I'm not finding anything that addresses what I'm trying to do. I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

The project I am currently working on is saved on a server, and I've been the only one working on it.

A new writer has been hired at an office location in another state, and we'll both be working on the project. I've been instructed to check the Flare project into TFS (which our developers already use) so the other writer and I can collaborate on the project.

I would like to move the Flare project to a workspace on my desktop and check the files into TFS from there. However, I can't figure out how to safely move the project files. I can't see anything within Flare that allows me to change the Save location, and I can't move the files through Windows Explorer without getting permission errors that seem to be generated by Flare.

Confession: In trying to figure this out, I somehow managed to delete my source files from the server, even though I couldn't move or rename any of the files. Our IT department were able to restore the files from the previous day's backup, but they saved it to a folder named Restored. Before that, Flare had automatically regenerated the content and project folders, so I now have two sets of these folders and some confused paths.

I hoping that I can find a way to not only safely move the project to my desktop, but have it clean up these duplicated files in the meantime. I really would rather not work out of a "Restored" directory that references a stylesheet in the regular directory. It's all a big, annoying mess, and I have no idea how any of this happened! I couldn't recreate this if I tried :oops:

Can a helpful Flare user let me know how to fix this or at least point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it!

Sarah
skellington
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Safely moving Flare project

Post by skellington »

It's amazing how often I can struggle with something for hours, but then figure out the solution as soon as I ask for help. (This works with household items such as pickle jars as well as software-related tasks.)

On a whim, I tried using File > Zip > Zip Project. I saved the file to a text location on my desktop, and those duplicate folders all disappeared. I'm now back to a clean set of files on my desktop, and I suspect I'll be able to check those in to TFS and work from there.

With any luck, I can hide all traces of my earlier gaffe and start checking files in and out of TFS as if we've always done it that way!

And thank you to anyone who came here with the answer, and a HUGE thank you to anyone who's able to catch me before I make any other silly mistakes.

Signed,
Sarah, who loves technology but is often tempted to go back to typewriters
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I could have helped you with this, but I cannot help you with a stuck key on a typewriter. :lol:
skellington
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by skellington »

Thank you, Ramon! After some thrilling successes last evening and a good night's sleep, I'm back to loving computers. I never could find the right ribbon for my typewriter anyway.

If anyone else comes looking for this answer, zipping the files and extracting them to a new location worked great. I was able to get all the files bound and checked in to TFS, and my test runs have been successful so far.