Flare V6 - file sharing violation - LocalCache.sdf

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Cinnamon
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare V6 - file sharing violation - LocalCache.sdf

Post by Cinnamon »

Hi there

I've just installed Flare V6 and tried to check a few files into SourceSafe. This error appeared and I wondered what I need to do to fix it?

"There is a file sharing violation. A different process might be using the file. [H:\My Projects\...\SourceControl\LocalCache.mcsccachef\LocalCache.sdf]".

Does anyone know how to clear this?

Many thanks

Suze
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare V6 - file sharing violation - LocalCache.sdf

Post by i-tietz »

I don't get exceptions, but false conflict messages on checking in files I last checked in with Flare V5.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yes, I have exactly the same problem.

I'm guessing your H: drive is on a network?

If it is, then now the bad news... if you have a project located on a network drive, then it will not work if it's linked to source control.

I've already reported it as a bug; MadCap support suggested:
Unfortunately this appears to be a bug in the way that network drives and source control work together with Flare.
Until a fix for this issue is released, you can either revert back to Flare v5 or download the project to your local computers through source control.
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

Our VSS DB is on a network drive, but we check out to our local drive.
And once I have checked in the file with Flare V6 everything's fine on a later check-in.

MC has probably changed a lot of the communication with VSS. And now it's buggy ...
rob hollinger
Propellus Maximus

Post by rob hollinger »

What version of VSS?

As we actively pursue the causes of these issues, has anyone Imported a new project in V6 and imported the problem projects from the Source Control?

In v6, the Cache folder is created and Flare watches that now. It no longer maintains a live connection with the Source Database. This is to support advanced merging and conflicts when multiple authors worked on the same topic at the same time and lower the network footprint with the server.

To fully update the project and get all the file status, with the project open, click on View -> Pending Check Ins.
Click the Refresh button in that window.
It should get status of all files in the project at that point.
Rob Hollinger
MadCap Software
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

We use MS VSS 2005 and yes, checking everything in (a bit of a nuisance, since I have that bug), deleting the local copy an importing from Source Control does help. I'll recommend that to my colleagues BEFORE they install Flare 6.