Multiple VSS Errors with Flare 6

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
MAinsley
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Multiple VSS Errors with Flare 6

Post by MAinsley »

Hi
I think I've found a work around for those using VSS. I've checked out the whole project in VSS. Not the best solution when you need to multi-author, but it seems to work.

Am now looking to move off VSS onto Subversion. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

MAinsley wrote:Am now looking to move off VSS onto Subversion. Any tips would be much appreciated.
You can either get a plugin like PushOK (I believe there is another, but can't seem to find the thread where it's mentioned at the moment), or you can get a tool like TortoiseSVN and manually update / commit changes. We've pursued the TortoiseSVN option, and the key to it (if you are multi-authoring) is process. People need to be cognizant of the fact that someone else may be in the same project they are in, so they should update before they open the project, and make sure they update / commit frequently when dealing with very-commonly-used files (like the TOC) where there is likely to be overlap.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
CJWyckoff
Propeller Head

Post by CJWyckoff »

From Rob Hollinger:
"As we actively pursue the causes of these issues, has anyone Imported a new project in V6 and imported the problem projects from the Source Control?

. . . the Cache folder . . . is to support advanced merging and conflicts when multiple authors worked on the same topic at the same time . . .

To fully update the project and get all the file status, with the project open, click on View -> Pending Check Ins."

We use TFS and Microsoft Visual Studio.
Yes, I imported all the projects I am working with via Flare using Import from Source Control. Most of the massive error messages we were seeing before Flare 6.1 have gone away.

However, the writers on this project are able to check out and change files at the same time. We want to avoid that! When I look at TFS, I see that the default when a checkout is done via Flare is "edit"; in TFS you can add a "lock". Should two writers be able to edit the same file when the Pending Change column in TFS shows "edit"? If so, is there any way to force the default to be "edit. lock" and prevent changes by multiple authors to one file at the same time?

Updating Pending Check-ins is a "go out and get some coffee" activity, so we have been avoiding it, and using the Source Control option available via right-clicking on Project or Contents. Should we be updating Pending Check-ins, and if so, how often?
cjw
i-tietz
Propellus Maximus

Post by i-tietz »

CJWyckoff wrote:However, the writers on this project are able to check out and change files at the same time. We want to avoid that! When I look at TFS, I see that the default when a checkout is done via Flare is "edit"; in TFS you can add a "lock". Should two writers be able to edit the same file when the Pending Change column in TFS shows "edit"? If so, is there any way to force the default to be "edit. lock" and prevent changes by multiple authors to one file at the same time?

Updating Pending Check-ins is a "go out and get some coffee" activity, so we have been avoiding it, and using the Source Control option available via right-clicking on Project or Contents. Should we be updating Pending Check-ins, and if so, how often?
At first you should check the database inside TFS: When I generated the MS VSS DB that we use for Source Control, I had to decide about whether multiple checking out of the same file is permitted. There should be a similar mechanism for TFS.
Then you should check the database itself (using TFS, not Flare): Does it show two users having checked out the same file, too?
This could also be a false information of the "Pending Check Ins" inside Flare. That's exactly the problem we have: Sometimes I check out files and then I see in the "Pending Check Ins" that in the column "Author" my colleague AND me are listed for those files. But the database tells me that it's just me who's working on those files, not my colleague. Even after a refresh "Pending Check Ins" keeps telling me we're two of us working on the same file ...
CJWyckoff
Propeller Head

Post by CJWyckoff »

Thanks for your response. We have our TFS access set to Edit and so that only one person at a time can edit, which is the default.
In spite of that, I verified last night that in both Flare and Microsoft VS Source Explorer, another writer and I had the same files checked out.
cjw
Graham Campbell
Propeller Head

Post by Graham Campbell »

You can either get a plugin like PushOK (I believe there is another, but can't seem to find the thread where it's mentioned at the moment)
That would be TamTamSVN which, in my view, is superior to PushOK: http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/tamtamsvn/

My company bought PushOK licenses which is why I've been quite vocal about getting it working in this forum, but after using the trial of TamTam I'd have to say I'd choose it over PushOK had I known.