TFS after VSS?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
alex
Propeller Head

TFS after VSS?

Post by alex »

Hello,

If at some point in the future we move from VSS 2005 to TFS, we're wondering what we would find... Does anyone have any experience or insight to share about why making this transition would or wouldn't be a good idea?

Is TFS "better" in any way than VSS 2005 for handling Flare projects? Or, "worse" than VSS 2005?

I'm more interested in actual experience rather than subjective opinion about this, of course, but I do welcome all comments that may shed some light on the differences in the two systems with regard to how well they work with Flare.

Thank you,
alex
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: TFS after VSS?

Post by RamonS »

I haven't used TFS for Flare, but used it for many other things. TFS isn't as dysfunctional as VSS, but it is also a far cry from being a working source control system. If you switch evaluate other options. I am sure there are better solutions than TFS - and definitely less expensive ones.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

As RamonS said, I'd definitely try out TFS first if you can.

We tried TFS once (as our developers use it) but encountered some serious problems that we couldn't resolve, so we just stuck with VSS 2005. We didn't discover the cause of the problem, so it may not have been Flare, but after spending a fews weeks trying to get it to work we just had to give up.

However, that was a while ago with Flare v3/v4, I haven't retested TFS again with Flare v6 ; and that seems to handle source control a lot differently.
PBayne
Propeller Head

Post by PBayne »

You may want to hold off on making the switch to TFS from VSS, at least until whatever is causing the problems with Flare and SourceControl is fixed. We're currently using TFS and Flare 6 and are experiencing a number of the same problems being mentioned with Flare and VSS.

Pat