Flare and TFS 2010

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
gford360
Jr. Propeller Head

Flare and TFS 2010

Post by gford360 »

Is anyone aware of when Flare will support Team Foundation Server 2010 now that it has been released? My company needed to upgrade to TFS 2010 to take advantage of some new testing functionality, so we’ve had to unbind our projects for the time being.

MadCap tells me that they’re working on it, but I was curious if anyone had information regarding a possible timeframe for TFS 2010 support.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare and TFS 2010

Post by RamonS »

The only ones who know for sure are the folks at MadCap. The earliest I can think of is when Flare 7 comes out, which could be roughly guesstimated based on past release schedules. MadCap will likely not commit to functionality unless they are sure that it will be available and working. There could be a dot release for V6, but I find that unlikely.
lemalsaint
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lemalsaint »

Update 6.1 can now sync with TFS2010.
For me it is working, but rather slow. Some project need about 5 minutes startup time now.
Anyone else facing this problem?

Oliver
gford360
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by gford360 »

Indeed, Flare 6.1 is now compatible with TFS 2010! I've not noticed any performance issues thus far. I do have one remote employee who connects via VPN, and she have experienced some slowness, but we've been able to trace that to problems with her Internet connection at home.
lemalsaint
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lemalsaint »

Yes I think it's just a connection speed problem.
For me, beeing contecte via LAN, it works just fine.
Does anyone know how I can disable syncing the output files though?
E.g. I have a webhelp output, which is always synced with the TFS as well, which is just unnecessary I think.

Thanks for your help!
siskamoens
Propeller Head

Post by siskamoens »

lemalsaint wrote: Does anyone know how I can disable syncing the output files though?
E.g. I have a webhelp output, which is always synced with the TFS as well, which is just unnecessary I think.
Do you mean having the "Output" folder in TFS, next to Content and Project? That is indeed unnecessary.

I'm assuming you bound your project to source control via Visual Studio/TFS instead of from within Flare?
The big advantage of binding the project to TFS via the Project Properties in Flare is that this creates an "intelligent" binding: it only checks in the project file itself and the "Content" and "Project" folders.
"Output" and, if applicable, the "Analyzer" folders are not dragged along. Which is good, because they're not part of the project's source info anyway.

Does this help?
Siska Moens
Technical communicator
ADAM Software
hoppo
Propeller Head

Post by hoppo »

I'm not sure whether you've received an answer to this. But version 6.1.0 has support for TFS 2010. We have however discovered some "shakiness" with the TFS integration when there are several users which I am considering reporting, so I advice that you check with MadCap to find out about any possible reported bugs before upgrading.
hoppo
Propeller Head

Post by hoppo »