TFS - 503: Service Unavailable

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

TFS - 503: Service Unavailable

Post by dwag »

Thanks so much, Mr. Lee. You've provided more help long distance than I get in person. One more problem, though: Now when I open Flare, I get an error that says, "Connecting and logging into Source Control failed: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable." We use TFS to check in and check out files; unfortunately, a member of our IT department just told me he didn't know how to solve it, and another developer just told me IT should be able to solve it. Being a lowly tech writer, I'm not sure how to go about solving this error on my own. Many apologies in advance, but do you have the magic powers that might begin to lead me out of this forest?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Need to re-enter license code

Post by NorthEast »

(I split and renamed this post so others might see it.)
dwag wrote:Thanks so much, Mr. Lee. You've provided more help long distance than I get in person. One more problem, though: Now when I open Flare, I get an error that says, "Connecting and logging into Source Control failed: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable." We use TFS to check in and check out files; unfortunately, a member of our IT department just told me he didn't know how to solve it, and another developer just told me IT should be able to solve it. Being a lowly tech writer, I'm not sure how to go about solving this error on my own. Many apologies in advance, but do you have the magic powers that might begin to lead me out of this forest?
I've no real idea what the problem might be.

Presumably you get that when you open a project, rather than opening Flare (unless you have the project set as the 'StartUp File').

Can you browse the project in TFS?
Can you import the project? (i.e. File > Import Project > Import from Source Control)
dwag
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: TFS - 503: Service Unavailable

Post by dwag »

Sorry, you're absolutely right: I get the message when I open the project. Yes, I can browse the project in TFS. I'm a bit nervous about the import project option, only because TFS paths and projects are all over the place, and the last time a software architect/solution consultant helped set things up, it was all done from within TFS. Everyone around here is either too busy or insulted by my questions. All I want to do is my work. That's it. Everyting.

Thanks.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: TFS - 503: Service Unavailable

Post by NorthEast »

dwag wrote:Sorry, you're absolutely right: I get the message when I open the project. Yes, I can browse the project in TFS. I'm a bit nervous about the import project option, only because TFS paths and projects are all over the place, and the last time a software architect/solution consultant helped set things up, it was all done from within TFS. Everyone around here is either too busy or insulted by my questions. All I want to do is my work. That's it. Everyting.

Thanks.
The import just copies the project from TFS to your PC, and it will set the project's TFS details in the local project file (flprj).
It's perfectly safe to try out; import it into an empty folder on your PC though, don't overwrite an existing project.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Dave Lee wrote: I've no real idea what the problem might be.
I would guess that the registry key contained the URL or other key information needed to connect to TFS (I'm not familiar with TFS, though). Did you, perchance, back up the registry key before you deleted it? You might be able to take a look and see if there is anything TFS-y in there, and copy it back into the current key.

Alternatively, if you're feeling a bit more adventurous, you could set a restore point, go back to a previous restore point (if you have a recent one when TFS was working), export the old key, restore to the present (make sure you grab your exported key onto a USB drive or a network location, so the restore will not remove it), and try to figure out what is different. If you go this route, I'd get IT's help if you are at all uncomfortable with either the registry or system restore.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Andrew wrote:
I would guess that the registry key contained the URL or other key information needed to connect to TFS (I'm not familiar with TFS, though). Did you, perchance, back up the registry key before you deleted it? You might be able to take a look and see if there is anything TFS-y in there, and copy it back into the current key.
It might be easier just to import the project - then all that is set up for you.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Dave Lee wrote:
Andrew wrote:
It might be easier just to import the project - then all that is set up for you.
I'm not really familiar with Flare's SC integration; I was suggesting alternatives, but didn't mean to imply anything about which solution was the best. I wasn't clear on that, sorry. :oops:
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0