sharePoint for source control/backup?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

sharePoint for source control/backup?

Post by nickatwork »

Hi all,
I'm the only writer in my company. Our team has been offered access to the sharepoint server and from reading the Flare documentation I'm not sure if its something that I should use in a backup/source control way.
At the moment I just store all of my flare files on my C:\ but this isnt backed up by our servers so I have to manually do it every day or so. Sometimes I forget and its a manual process that I would like to do away with.

So is sharepoint a potential for this? From reading the flare stuff it seems more of a single file share type of thing, rather than storing a whole flare project.

Thanks,
Nick.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: sharePoint for source control/backup?

Post by RamonS »

If you are the only writer and all you want is a backup then make a file copy of the entire project folder. Could create a batch file that gets executed daily by the Windows scheduler. If you do want to use source control features I'd look into a less clunky option. Either go straight to TFS or use the SVN integration locally. The SVN support is rather basic at the moment, but it will do the trick.
SharePoint is an overhyped product that nobody really needs.
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by nickatwork »

Thanks for the info. Manual process it is I suppose. TFS or SVN would be nice, but convincing IT to give me this 'nice to have' isn't worth the hassle.

cheers.
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

You can run SVN locally to get the source control functionality and make file copies as backups (which I'd do anyway no matter which tricked out solution you have).
nickatwork
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by nickatwork »

Unfortunately even running something locally requires sign off from multiple people....and a committe that grants new software use. I work for a bank, so I have no install rights and everything has to go through red tape.
Will look more at the batch file thing....haven't done one of these since university.

thanks.