Multiple writers working on one topic simultaneously

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
hatomie
Jr. Propeller Head

Multiple writers working on one topic simultaneously

Post by hatomie »

What happens in Flare when one writer has a topic open, and then another writer tries to open that topic? Is there any sort of error message?

Furthermore, does the result of this action differ depending on whether you are saving to network folders or a source control system?
LTinker68
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Multiple writers working on one topic simultaneously

Post by LTinker68 »

If you have a Flare-supported source control program bound to a project, then I believe Flare not only indicates the file is checked out but prevents you from doing anything with it.

If you have a non-Flare-supported source control program, then I imagine Flare gives you an error when you try to open a topic or only gives you the option to view a read-only copy of it.

If you don't have a source control program, then I believe you get the same type of error message you'd get if you tried to open the file using Windows Explorer when someone else had the file open, but that depends on what type of operating system is used on that file share and possibly other settings on the file share.

Long story short, I don't think Flare has any built-in warnings about files being edited; it relies on the operating system and/or the source control program to pass the messages along. I should mention that's all theory -- I'm the sole author here and I don't use source control so I can't confirm either situation.

Lisa
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.
Warning! Loose nut behind the keyboard.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

At least in Flare 7.1, there is an option on the Options window, Source Control tab that lets you lock the files that you check out of the source control system so that another Flare user can open them only as read-only.

Check into how your source control system deals with files being changed by different users simultaneously. It might be that the source control system uses what's called a "lock-modify-unlock" workflow (which is what I describe above), but it might use a "copy-modify-merge" workflow in which each author gets his or her own copy to modify and then check back in. In that case, if the changes to the same file appear in different places in the file, the source control system will merge the changes. But if the changes hit the same place, then the source control system will need a human to decide which version of the changes trumps the other version.

I'm just in the process of learning to use Flare in a source-controlled environment, so I'm not certain exactly how the "copy-modify-merge" workflow looks from within Flare. Sorry that I can't be more specific.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
hatomie
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by hatomie »

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.
Andrew
Propellus Maximus

Post by Andrew »

Just a quick clarification regarding what happens without source control:

If two people open the same file, there is no warning at all. The warning comes only if both of them make a modification to the file, and then one person saves. The other will get a warning that someone else has changed the file since they opened it, and they will have the option of overwriting the file, discarding their own changes, or saving them to an alternate file so the two files can be compared.
Flare v6.1 | Capture 4.0.0
aburian
Propeller Head

Post by aburian »

Andrew wrote:Just a quick clarification regarding what happens without source control:

If two people open the same file, there is no warning at all. The warning comes only if both of them make a modification to the file, and then one person saves. The other will get a warning that someone else has changed the file since they opened it, and they will have the option of overwriting the file, discarding their own changes, or saving them to an alternate file so the two files can be compared.
...which to me, is...awesome. :)

(I was just wondering the same thing.)