Flare + svn: added, but not committed?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
kkelleher
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare + svn: added, but not committed?

Post by kkelleher »

Hi!

I'm trying to get Flare's source control integration feature working with my company's subversion repository.

(Since I have had a series of questions, I'm updating this post to show my latest strruggle first -- earlier issues are listed in the PS.)

So now, my third issue: I have been able to bind the project and check that in, and I have attempted to check in the other files in the project to no avail. Flare pops up a command line window for PuTTY to do the checkin, and no error messages are thrown, but the checkin never occurs. I took a look at the status from the svn command line, and it appears that all the project's files have been scheduled to be added but that Flare isn't sending the actual svn commit command (to be clear: in svn the add comand only tags things to be added to the repo; a separate svn commit command is required for the files to actually be uploaded to the repo). For example, here's one line of output from the svn status -u command:
A - Project\Skins\HTML5.flskn

How do I get Flare to run the actual svn commit command once the files have been scheduled for addition?

Thanks,

Kristen

PS -- Issues I have conquered:
My first problem was that we use SSH with our svn, so I needed to add a some extra info into the Server field when I bound the project to source control. My Server value looked like this:
svn+ssh://user@server.domain.com/path/in/svn/repo

Second, our repo requires that each check-in include a comment of sufficient length. I couldn't find a way to specify a comment when checking in from within Flare but it turns out that -- right out there in plain sight-- there's a Comment field. As a typical user, I just couldn't see what was right in front of my face. Alas.
Kristen Kelleher
Director of Tech Pubs, TIBCO Jaspersoft
kkelleher
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Flare + svn: added, but not committed?

Post by kkelleher »

Having closed Flare, I went ahead and manually issued the subversion commit command. svn behaved normally, and seemed to add the files to the repo with no problem.

But when I opened my project in Flare again, it still lists all my files' status as "Checked Out". Is that normal?

I was tempted to ignore this status message, since svn's meaning of "checkout/checkin" differs from other vendors' concept, but the whole thing just strikes me as wrong. I created a new instance of the project in a different directory in order to continue my testing. I changed one of my topic files slightly, and Flare marked it as having been updated. I used the Source Control > Check In context menu command to check in, and Flare correctly updated the svn repo and marked the topic as having been checked in. So there is definitely something wrong with the original instance of the project.

Anyone have advice about how to get out of this predicament? Do I just have to give up and abandon the initial instance of my project?

EDIT: I tried one more time to check the files in. Flare queried the source control system and reported that it was checking a few files in. Flare then marked all the files as having been checked in. But the svn repo didn't actually get updated. I wish i had something more concrete to report, but I think the take away is that, like other tools that integrate with svn, Flare is a little flaky in this area. We're going to have to think long and hard about the value of this feature v. the cost of Flare's confused behavior.

Thanks,

Kristen
Kristen Kelleher
Director of Tech Pubs, TIBCO Jaspersoft