Binding to TFS: Do I create the TFS folder first?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
mafaulkner
Propeller Head

Binding to TFS: Do I create the TFS folder first?

Post by mafaulkner »

I have an existing Flare project (AcmeHelp.flprj) that I want to bind to TFS in an existing TFS folder called "Help_projects." So I want the TFS structure to be "[root]/Help_projects/AcmeHelp."

My questions:
1. Do I create the AcmeHelp folder in TFS before binding, or does the process of binding create that TFS folder?

2. In the Bind Project dialog box in Flare, I have to provide a Project Path. Do I point to "[root]/Help_projects/AcmeHelp," or just "[root]/Help_projects"?

3. I'm having a terrible time binding a project because Flare insists that there is already a project folder in TFS, although that TFS folder was actually deleted. How can I get Flare to believe me when I want to point to a different TFS folder?

Thanks!
Thomas Tregner
Propeller Head

Re: Binding to TFS: Do I create the TFS folder first?

Post by Thomas Tregner »

If you copy the project to the desired place in your working folder, Flare will pick that up when you select to bind the project. For example if your workspace is configured as $/ for the source control folder and C:\Example for the local folder, then in the C:\Example folder there should be a folder called Help_projects if you have done a get on that folder or something in it. So if you have C:\Example\Help_projects, you can just copy the project folder into there. Then open that copy and bind it. Flare will pick up the path.

However, if your goal is to create a new working folder for just that project, then you can when you provide the project path, just use [root]/Help_projects since Flare will create the folder.

Deletes in source control can be tricky. You may want to take a closer look in TFS to see if the folder is actually gone and also in any working folders you have, to ensure there isn't a copy there as well. As far as working folders go, I prefer to maintain just one and keep the local path consistent on everyone's machine. If you plan to script builds, that comes in handy since you don't have to change the script for each machine.