Integrated SVN Client: Rename and Delete Problems

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
servobot
Propeller Head

Integrated SVN Client: Rename and Delete Problems

Post by servobot »

I've seen other posts in this forum to suggest this behavior is not unique:

When I rename or delete a file, the working copy (local) updates properly. The files show as Pending Delete in my Pending Check-ins window.

After I check in, the changes are not synced to my SVN repository. The pending deletes return to my Pending Check-ins window after I refresh or check in other files.

To clear the pending deletes, I use Tortoise's Repo Browser to delete files by hand in the SVN repository.

Has anyone else experienced this? How did you get the Tortoise client to properly sync deletes and renames? Support was not able to identify the root cause.
svt-user
Propeller Head

Re: Integrated SVN Client: Rename and Delete Problems

Post by svt-user »

Yes, I have experienced this almost as long as I have been using Flare with Subversion, which is several years.

I suspect that it is something to do with the project options setting for auto save and for source control, but never quite figured out. it happens a lot less now that I'm the SVN Admin and have set up my own server.

Here is what I do:
  • Doing Tortoise maintenance on SVN is part of the job. It's your content repository. If you are not using Tortoise to check SVN status on a daily basis then you might get a worse problem than just a few unversioned files. Check for mods nightly and you will find and commit any unversioned files.
  • Avoid renaming Flare files. Decide on a topic naming strategy that fits your information architecture and is flexible enough to cope with changes in content and labeling (titles). Stick to it. Don't rename a file every time the topic title changes.
  • Why Delete? Subversion never forgets. Create a folder named Delete and drag/drop/commit unused content to that folder. Once weekly (if you must), delete the entire folder and commit the delete right away.
  • If using Flare 8 or earlier, every now and then, delete your FileSync and SourceControl folders, forcing Flare to recreate them on startup.
  • If you must move, rename, or delete content, commit each change immediately after you make the change. The problem is exacerbated when (for example) newly-created topics.
  • If you must do mass file deletes or moves, do no more than 20 at a time and commit the changes right away. (Something causes Flare/SVN commit to choke and hang for many minutes if you feed it too many changes in one bite.). Alternatively, try disabling Automatic Check Out before mass file changes.

Just good housekeeping.