Source Control - Help needed after newbie misktake

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
dawn_99
Jr. Propeller Head

Source Control - Help needed after newbie misktake

Post by dawn_99 »

I am very new to using source control! This morning, pre-coffee, I opened the Flare file that I originally tied to Source Control – not an imported local copy - the original file I bound to source control. I then clicked View History and I think I clicked Get Selected Version – though I hadn’t intentionally selected anything.

The project file does appear to have all of my most recent changes (checked in yesterday), but is no longer tied to source control – because as I understand it, the historical copy “replaced” the previous copy. And there are no source control options anymore - they are all greyed out.

I am using Subversion for source control and I don't know how to use directly, I just use it through the Flare interface. My local copy is still tied to Subversion.

What do I do now? Do I need to tie the original file back to Source Control a second time?
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Source Control - Help needed after newbie misktake

Post by SteveS »

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to the forums. :D

First thing I'd do is have that cup of coffee (in a mug with an extra shot...) :wink:

Without knowing the details I can still say don't panic. The beauty of source control is it allows you to step back in time, so your files should still be there. I've not used Subversion, ony TFS, so I'm not sure of the process to recover a past version, but I imagine you will have to use the Subversion interface for the recovery.

Hang on, someone with subversion is bound to chime in at any time now...
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Hi Dawn,

I'll see if I can help.

When one binds a Flare project to Subversion for the first time, the project is copied to the Subversion repository, and the Flare project on one's computer is now considered to be the "working copy" in SVN-speak. So I'm a little confused by your description because it sounds as if you have two copies of the project on your computer, the "original" and a second "local copy". Am I understanding you correctly? If this is so, then you have two working copies of the project. You need only one.

If you have a "local (aka 'working') copy that is still tied to Subversion," then you're good to go. The SVN repository holds the controlled version, and you will do your work in the working copy. When you open the working copy, you can have Flare "Update All" (or whatever the command is called; I'm going on memory) from the repository, and then you'll check in all your changes from there.

In answer to your question about needing to bind the original project back to Subversion somehow, no there is no need. In fact, there is no way to do so. The project already exists in the Subversion repository. Somehow or other (I can't quite figure out how, from your description), you unbound that original project. Feel free to abandon it.

BTW, you are likely to find that you'll need another Subversion client to do those Subversion actions that are not possible through Flare. Many Subversion users use TortoiseSVN. Just be sure to install the correct one for your computer (e.g., 32-bit vs. 64-bit) and to get a version that is compatible with Flare 9. That would be version 1.7.x or lower. Don't install version 1.8. You can learn why here: http://forums.madcapsoftware.com/viewto ... 923#p90923.

I hope this helps. Post back if you have more questions.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

Thanks, Nita. I knew help would be at hand...
Steve
dawn_99
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by dawn_99 »

Thanks very much for the information!
The original copy is on our company's server and I thought I had to keep it there tied to SVN. The other writer and I then imported local copies to our computers as the working copies. I had reverted the original copy on the server to an older version. But by the sounds of it that was just another "working copy" once it was tied to source control so I can just delete it now.
Thanks again Steve and Nita for the help! I can breathe a little easier now.
Dawn
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by SteveS »

...and a coffee helps :D ...
Steve