Subversion - Which folders/files to exclude?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
sarrants
Propeller Head

Subversion - Which folders/files to exclude?

Post by sarrants »

We are having some...problems with Subversion 1.7 and Flare 9.1.1. We received some errors when some writers check in or attempt to check in files. We've excluded the Output and Analyze folders. What other folder should we exclude? Project\Users and Project\Reports?

There are four of us who need some sort of Source Control method, and Subversion with Flare seemed the best solution. Help!
The things that we plan and measure are the things that get done.
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: Subversion - Which folders/files to exclude?

Post by Msquared »

What other folder should we exclude? Project\Users and Project\Reports?
Correct. Also \SourceControl, if it exists. Everything in those folders can be recreated from your sources, and Flare will expect to be able to create files there without needing to check out anything first.

I don't use Subversion, I use Perforce, so I'm not familiar with Subversion-specific issues. And, of course, without knowing the errors you are seeing, it's hard to guess what could be happening.

Reading between the lines of your post, I'm assuming your project is bound to Subversion, that it has been bound successfully, and that Flare/Subversion integration works sometimes for some people. If so, the first thing to try when you get an error is Source Control > Refresh from within Flare. Do that on \Contents and also on \Project. That ensures that Subversion and Flare agree on the status of all the files under source control. The way I have to work with Perforce, sometimes Flare thinks the file is checked out, when it isn't, so the file isn't writable, and Flare can't write it, hence an error. Refresh fixes it.

If that doesn't help, then perhaps you could post more specific details of the errors you are seeing, and what you are trying to do when they occur, and one of the Subversion gurus will probably be able to assist.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Steve, from your description, it sounds like you did not use Flare to bind the projects in the first place, is that right? Flare automatically excludes the folders that don't need to be bound.

In direct answer to your question, yes, you should excluded the Project/Users folder. That folder is unique on each person's computer. For the Projects/Reports folder, there's no harm in including that one, though I admit that it doesn't seem necessary to have report files under source control. When one uses Flare to bind a project (rather than another SVN client, such as TortoiseSVN), Flare does include the Reports folder. My habit is to ignore Flare's wanting to add report files to source control, as I consider the reports to be "ephemeral" (i.e., short-lived; I don't want them hanging around); if I accidentally add one to source control, I delete.

What errors in particular are you getting? It would help to know those to help you figure out what's going on.

Lastly, FWIW, I think that a general best practice is not to mix-and-match Flare and TortoiseSVN for check-outs and check-ins. Use one or the other. And if a project was originally bound using TortoiseSVN, then I'd never use Flare at all for check-outs and check-ins. I'd only ever use TortoiseSVN.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
sarrants
Propeller Head

Post by sarrants »

Msquared -- I posted a sep. message with the error dialogs.
sarrants
Propeller Head

Post by sarrants »

Nita:
I used Flare to bind the projects. The other writers then used Flare to Import from Source Control.
We will see what happens when we exclude the folders. I am the only one who hasn't had problems.

We are only using TortoiseSVN for admin tasks, not for placing files in the repo.

thanks!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I'm mystified why Flare would have included those folders (other than the Reports folder) when it bound the project to SVN. I have never seen that happen before.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Mark from Brooklyn
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by Mark from Brooklyn »

I'd like to add a folder to the list (Output, Analyze, SourceControl, Project\Users) that can be excluded from source control: FileSync.

Some people have this folder... at least, I do.
sarrants
Propeller Head

Post by sarrants »

Thank you all for your help. With further investigation, it was user error that caused this. Some of the writers added projects with TortoiseSVN instead of binding within Flare and / or used TortoiseSVN to get the projects instead of File>Source Control>Import Project. That's what started the problems. All fixed now. Rule of thumb is only use Flare unless you are doing admin stuff.