Lock functionality when using TFS

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
bazil
Jr. Propeller Head

Lock functionality when using TFS

Post by bazil »

Hello,

I know that MadCap’s lock functionality allows you to prevent checkedout files from being checked in by another user. When you're using TFS as your source control base, it allows you to lock files in such way that they cannot be checkedout by other user. This is really handy as it prevents possible conflicts in case someone didn't notice that the file they're checking out is already checked out by someone else/

Unfortunately, when I do the same via MadCap, which uses TFS as it's source control sys, the lock still allows other users to check locked files out. I would like to avoid an additional step of having to lock files in TFS and then move to MC and work on them in them.Is it possible to lock the files from the MadCap level in such way that other users\writers won’t be able to check them out in the first place?

Thanks for answers!
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Lock functionality when using TFS

Post by RamonS »

There are two different modes as far as I know. One that prevents another check out and one that only prevents a check-in without merge. In some cases you need to be able to check out a project file and make changes that will need to be merged by the person checking in last. Often this is the preferred approach because it does not stop everyone from working. That said, merging is sometimes tricky business, pick your poison.
bazil
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by bazil »

To be honest, I can't find a mode which will prevent other users from checking out files which I have checked out. When you go to options you only have choice of "Locking files when automatically checking out (files cannot be checked in by other users)" and that's it.
Do you know how to activate the other mode you mentioned?
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by RamonS »

I was referring to modes in source control. There is no other mode in Flare. My point was that IMHO the mode that Flare uses is the preferred mode for help authoring. For example, when you want to add topics to the ToC you check the applicable files out. During that time nobody else can work on the ToC if it worked the way you suggest. I find that quite a harsh restriction and most likely the reason why Flare does not do that.
bazil
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by bazil »

Thanks for your help!