How to push the branch changes to the master?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Vanessas
Propeller Head

How to push the branch changes to the master?

Post by Vanessas »

Hi everyone,

We are just starting to use the Git integration with Flare but one piece I can't see how to do through the MCF GUI is how to push my branch changes to the master (merge the branch with the master). We can do it using the Git Bash command line but shouldn't I be able to do it through the MCF GUI? I have been reading the documentation but nothing seems to address this. I find that a bit strange because don't all branches have to go back to the master eventually?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Vanessa
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: How to push the branch changes to the master?

Post by Nita Beck »

Welcome to the forums, Vanessa!

Despite my cheery welcome, I personally don't know the answer to your "how-to" question. But I did want to respond to your point about "doesn't a branch have to be merged with the master eventually"? Not necessarily. A branch could be created purely for purposes of trying something out and then could be abandoned. There's no "rule" anywhere that says a branch must be merged back in. That might be a business requirement for your operation, but it's not a source control rule.

Anyone else here done branching with Git via Flare to help our new friend out?
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Vanessas
Propeller Head

Post by Vanessas »

Thanks Nita! That is a good point about a test branch. I meant in the real world situation of multiple authors.

I am going to switch to the master and see if I can do a pull from the branch (I am just resetting everything up now) to see if that works.

Btw I am not technically new - I worked with MCF for about a year a few years ago but have switched companies since and did not work on it between. These forums are GOLD though for information.

:)

Vanessa
Vanessas
Propeller Head

Post by Vanessas »

I ended up contacting support and got the answer I expected: You cannot use Flare to merge branches. The support rep submitted a feature request for this on my behalf though.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Are you the Vanessa I know from western NYS? If yes, :D If not, still :D !
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!