Error connecting to source control repository

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Error connecting to source control repository

Post by TeSol »

Hi,

I keep having difficulty connecting to the Source Control repository. It's very hit and miss-I am just not able to identify conditions when the connect happens and when it doesn't. I have tried restarting, rebooting....same issue.
Ping to the location indicates that the connection is fine. Then what could the problem be? Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks
TeSol
RamonS
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Error connecting to source control repository

Post by RamonS »

Which source control system are you using? Do you have access to native clients other than Flare? If yes, do those connect fine when Flare does not? Do others have the same problem? What does the sys admin find in the logs?
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

I use Subversion.

No, nothing other than Flare. I'm the lone technical writer in my organisation hence only I have this problem.

Any idea where to look for the logs?

Thanks
TeSol
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

I suggest that you also have another Subversion client on your machine, such as TortoiseSVN. With that client, you can examine the repo, show the log, etc. (I don' think this means the sys admin logs that Ramon's talking about...) Still, you will occasionally need to do something with a client that Flare has not been programmed to do.

Word to the wise: Flare 11 (not sure yet about Flare 12) is an SVN 1.7.x-compliant client, but TortoiseSVN is already up to SVN 1.8.x. It is important that both clients be of the same compliance, so when you go to download and installed TortoiseSVN, be sure to get the installer for 1.7.x, not 1.8.x.

(I just looked around a little in the Flare 12 help and, although I didn't find a direct reference to SVN 1.7.x/1.8.x, I found a hyperlink to the Subversion 1.7.x documentation, so perhaps Flare 12 is still at SVN 1.7.x.)

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
dcisneros
Propeller Head

Post by dcisneros »

I'm having with source control issues as well after the move to Flare 12.

I'm using Git as my source control, and in Flare 11, I was able to commit and push changes with no issue; after I installed Flare 12, I can commit and enter a message, but when I push my changes, absolutely nothing happens. In fact, nothing happens if I click Push, Pull, or Synchronize. No error message, nothing.

I submitted a case with MadCap to figure out the issue, and I was told to try re-importing the project from Git into a new project in a different local repository. However, when I try to re-import, the process eventually just stops about halfway through.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? I've tried deleting and recloning our repository via the command line, but nothing changes. As a result, we're holding off on having the rest of the team upgrade to Flare 12 until this is solved.
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Robotman »

http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... ements.htm

Flare 12 is SVN 1.9 compatible (it looks like it is backwards compatible)
Flare 11 is 1.8
\m/ Gary \m/
Flare 2020 / Windows 10 64-Bit
Screaming Symphony
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Hey Robotman! :)

Are you sure about Flare 11. I'm pretty sure that Flare 11 is still SVN V1.7.x. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure...

Don't know yet about Flare 12. I'm not there yet.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Post by doc_guy »

Nita Beck wrote:Are you sure about Flare 11. I'm pretty sure that Flare 11 is still SVN V1.7.x. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure...
According to the KB, Flare 11 supports SVN 1.8:

http://kb.madcapsoftware.com/Content/Fl ... quirements
KB Article - Flare 11 System Requirements wrote:Source Control integration supports: Microsoft Visual SourceSafe 2005,

Team Foundation Server 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012 or 2013 (non-Cloud version),

Subversion 1.5.3, 1.6, 1.7 or 1.8, Git 1.9.4 and Perforce 2014.1
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

All the replies relate to Flare 11 and Flare 12. I am using Flare 10.2 - is that an issue? Also, I see that Madcap Flare is 32-bit whereas I am running on Windows 8.1 64 bit. Could that be an issue?

Its really annoying. This morning I find that the project is no longer bound to the SVN URL specified. I didnt do anything to change it or unbind it. It has taken some vague URL.

Any ideas/help in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks
TeSol
Robotman
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Robotman »

Hi TeSol,

It won't be an issue with Flare being 32-bit and you running Windows 8.1 64-bit. I am running Flare 11 (also 32-bit) and Windows 10 64-bit and using TortoiseSVN 1.8.12.26645 (64-bit).

Also, Flare 10 is compatible with SVN 1.8.

A few things:
Are you currently running SVN 1.8?
Are you running the 32 or 64-bit of SVN?
Where is your repository located? (as you are the lone tech writer, is it on a server or on your local PC?)
Are your projects bound to source control using Flare?
And just a slightly random question, if the project is no longer bound to the SVN URL specified, is there any chance your system admins remove or move the repository?
\m/ Gary \m/
Flare 2020 / Windows 10 64-Bit
Screaming Symphony
TeSol
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by TeSol »

Thanks.

To answer your questions -

I'm using Apache Subversion 1.8.15 64 bit.
The repository is on the server.
Project is bound using Flare.
Highly unlikely that someone has moved things around. Even if there is a slight chance, my error should have been one-off...but it happens erratically.

Thanks again for trying to help me out.