What is the best practice for versioning using SVN or Git?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
eklisiewicz
Propeller Head

What is the best practice for versioning using SVN or Git?

Post by eklisiewicz »

My team is in the process of doing a deep dive on requirements as part of a new tool investigation. We are currently using Author-it, and will need to replicate the functions of the Ait database as closely as possible. This means using some type of version control system, likely either SVN or Git, to approximate variants that we currently have in Ait. I have done some testing with Flare and SVN and it works fine, but what I am unclear about is how versioning is achieved via source control? I know in Flare you have condition tags, different TOCs, and different targets to create your different versions, but once you have to commit to source control and creating different versions in source control, what are the simplest and most reliable methods for achieving this? Are you using tags inside Tortoise, or are you branching? And if you are branching, can someone describe the best way to do this? Any information is greatly appreciated.
doc_guy
Propellus Maximus

Re: What is the best practice for versioning using SVN or Gi

Post by doc_guy »

You can't do this directly in Flare, so you'll use whatever normal tools you work with to do this.

For example, when working with SVN repositories, I use Tortoise SVN, a shell extension in Windows that lets me create tags and branches. When working with GIT repositories, my company uses Smart GIT for all GIT functions including branches, committing, and pulling and pushing content to the GIT database.

Flare's source control integration is adequate for checking out and checking in files, but to do real version management you need to use a third party tool.
Paul Pehrson
My Blog

eklisiewicz
Propeller Head

Re: What is the best practice for versioning using SVN or Gi

Post by eklisiewicz »

Thanks for your response, though that doesn't really answer my question. I already mentioned that I have tested Tortoise and wasn't asking about how this was managed in Flare. I am interested specifically in how well branching works for versioning in source control. Also, whether there any gotchas to be aware of?