Flare 12, target versions, and marked as changed

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Flare 12, target versions, and marked as changed

Post by oceanclub »

I upgraded from 9 to 12, and one update I did recently was change a variables file.

The next time I did a check-in, I was then told _all_ targets in my project had changed. I hadn't changed any.

When I open one in the internal text editor, I notice the only change is the "Version" attribute of the CatapultTarget tag, which has been updated from 1 to 2.

Is this a new attribute? Is it update any time a file linked to the target file is changed? Just want to understand what is happening here.

P.
Msquared
Propellus Maximus

Re: Flare 12, target versions, and marked as changed

Post by Msquared »

It's won't be updated every time the file changes, just the first time you accessed an old Flare V9 file from Flare V12.

MadCap periodically updates the XML structure of some of their project files to add support for new features, and that attribute is the one they use to indicate which version the file is at. So all that means is that your target files have been updated to a structure that supports MadCap's version 2 file format for target files. The version number is MadCap's own internal versioning. So if you need to use some of the new Flare features for variable files (whatever they may be) the file structure is ready to work with the new features.

File formats do sometimes change between releases of Flare, but not for all file types, and not for every release. What usually happens is that affected files are updated the first time you do something in the new version of Flare that brings the files to Flare's notice.

I don't know whether this now means that Flare will refuse to use these updated target files in older versions of Flare (for example, Flare 9 is obviously expecting a V1 target file, and yours are now at V2) or whether Flare is clever enough to convert them back if you try to use them with an older version. Once I've upgraded to a newer version of Flare (with any file version changes that may have happened) I've never tried to go back to an older version.
Marjorie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am.