Horrible lag when working in a project bound with git

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
sanjsrik
Sr. Propeller Head

Horrible lag when working in a project bound with git

Post by sanjsrik »

Does anyone know how to make Flare 12 work faster than it is currently working when bound to a git repository? I have one project and it takes literally 15 minutes (I've timed it) to check in files when I work with the git repository. It's atrocious. I don't know what is going on and support simply seems to shrug it off as "normal". Moving files from folder to folder takes even longer sometimes. I moved a bunch (about 20) of very small graphic files (under 5k) from the root of the project to the \Resources\Images directory through Flare and it took 8 hours to move them.

The application cannot be THIS bad can it when working in a git project?

Does anyone have any suggestions when working in a git-bound project?

I've also noticed that the longer I'm working in the project the worse the performance becomes in Flare. Is there just a massive memory leak in the application that is never recovered?

The way the application works is becoming untenable to the point of me questioning working with Flare going forward.
chrisj
Propeller Head

Re: Horrible lag when working in a project bound with git

Post by chrisj »

I had this same issue and was able to solve it. I'm assuming you are working in a remote repo and probably got the project files by doing an import. This does require use of the command line, but it is very minimal and not really that scary.

1. Ensure that you have git installed on your machine so that you can run commands through cmd or Git bash.
2. Ensure to commit and push any changed files to your repo.
3. For good measure, copy and paste your local project for a backup file.
4. Completely delete the bound project from you local machine.
5. Clone the repo from the command line by opening up cmd (or bash), navigate to the directory where you want the files, and type git clone (the url of your repo).

This will clone the files. When you open the project it should already be bound to source control and the performance should improve drastically. This worked for me, anyway :D
Chris Jones
Product Content Manager - TEAM Software