Is Flare v12 and TFS broken?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Is Flare v12 and TFS broken?

Post by NorthEast »

Does anyone have problems with poor performance and strange behaviour using Flare v12 (64-bit) and TFS?

Our team has used Flare with TFS for many years without many complaints, but we've noticed that since using Flare v12 (64-bit) that performance is very poor, and Flare reports incorrect file status information.

The sort of thing I mean is:
- Refreshing the Pending Changes list takes 2 minutes (!) in Flare v12, compared to 4 seconds in Flare v11 (using exactly the same project).
- Pending Changes list shows incorrect information - e.g. it will list files that it says need to be added, but are already checked-in in source control. After a refresh these files mysteriously disappear.
- Pending Changes list is usually out-of-date - e.g. it doesn't show files you've just checked out, and needs to be refreshed.
- Source control file icons in Content Explorer are usually out-of-date - e.g. the icon indicates there's a newer version, when you've already got the latest version.

Anyway, all this means that we're starting to use Visual Studio to check-in files rather than use Flare; we're finding Flare v12 to be ridiculously slow, and it's showing unreliable file status information.

I've reported this to MadCap, but was wondering if this happens to anyone else, and if so whether you found a fix.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Is Flare v12 and TFS broken?

Post by roboHAL »

Hi Dave.

Of the four example issues you are seeing, I too have witnessed this one:

"Pending Changes list shows incorrect information - e.g. it will list files that it says need to be added, but are already checked-in in source control. After a refresh these files mysteriously disappear."

I have not encountered the other three. Also, I would add that since moving on to 2016 r2, I do see improvement (in many respects, not just TFS).

You should know that there have been a lot of issues reported with TFS and Flare 12: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=27267

The precise particulars of my environment are: Visual Studio 2013 Shell Integrated, Version 12.0.21005.1 Rel, .NET Framework 4.5.51650.

Glad I could - presumably - help you for a change instead of the other way around :) :mrgreen:
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Thanks, I've started to test this with 2016r2 and it seems just as bad as v12; e.g. I just did this:
- Refreshed pending changes, wait 1m40s, and it says [No Files]. Which was wrong as another user had 7 files checked out.
- Refreshed pending changes, wait another 1m40s, and it shows [No Files] and the 7 files in the same list. Er... what?

Flare 11's TFS integration works perfectly when I use the exact same projects.
Flare v12 and 2016r2 both seem a bit broken though.
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by roboHAL »

You're welcome. Strange this should be your experience. Perhaps consulting with MadCap Technical Support is in order.

Also, while I'm sure you are aware, please be reminded that the pending check-in list can display on a per user basis. Conceivably, that could explain why you saw zero files checked out despite seven being checked out to another user.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

roboHAL wrote:You're welcome. Strange this should be your experience. Perhaps consulting with MadCap Technical Support is in order.

Also, while I'm sure you are aware, please be reminded that the pending check-in list can display on a per user basis. Conceivably, that could explain why you saw zero files checked out despite seven being checked out to another user.
Yeah, I had the option to "Show check outs from other users" selected, so it wasn't caused by that.
The first time I refreshed pending changes it said [No Files], which I knew was wrong. Then I refreshed it again and it said [No Files] plus the 7 checked-out files listed below that.

But we're seeing these bizarre results for everything - e.g. existing checked in items being are marked as new files to add, items we've got checked out are not always appearing.

Something is very wrong if you can do two or three consecutive refreshes and what you see in the pending changes is different each time!

Anyway, I'm in touch with support - so far they've just suggested importing the project from fresh again, which didn't work.

The annoying thing is that we don't have any of these problems with Flare v11, only v12 and 2016r2.
steveng
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by steveng »

Found a solution :D

Simply install Flare 11 on a clean machine (activate and bind it to TFS for good measure). Then install Flare 12.

Flare 11 works beautifully, so apparently Flare 12 is missing some config file/code that is causing these mapping problems. Cool thing is Flare 12 will use the missing code if it's already on the the computer when installing Flare 12.

Here are the steps I used:

1. Completely uninstall all MadCap software from your computer, delete the Registry directory JKEY_CURRENT_USER>SOFTWARE>MadCap Software, delete the AppData directory C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Roaming\MadCap Software (for Windows 10).
2. Install and activate Flare 11.
3. Bind it to TFS.
4. Install and activate Flare 12.
5. Bind it to TFS.
6. Optionally deactivate Flare 11.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, I have Flare v11 installed, and that still works fine.

Cheers- sounds an interesting solution, but have you been able to identify what actually makes it work?

I had Flare v11 installed when I installed v12, and haven't removed v11.
So if I reinstalled v11 and then v12, then it should be any different to what I have now.

Also, what do you mean by "Bind it to TFS" ?
"Binding" in Flare terms, is how you add a project to source control, so you wouldn't do that with existing projects.
Do you mean you import the project (File > New Project > Import Project)?
Also, surely you wouldn't be able to bind (or import) the project twice? (after installing v11 and then v12)
steveng
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by steveng »

Hi Dave

I don't know exactly which file is causing the problem, but the solution works great for me so I figured I'd share it :)

About the binding issue, I guess what I meant was simply open a source controlled project in Flare to see that it is bound properly in the Project Properties dialog box>Source Control tab.
I'm not running through the process but you shouldn't have to import the project twice. Once you've imported the project (in flare 11), a copy is saved in your local workspace folder. Simply open it from there using Flare 12 and make sure it is bound in the project properties dialog box.

Flare 12 should work fine now.

Hope that clarifies things,
Steve
ctremblay
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by ctremblay »

Yes, Flare 12 and TFS are seriously not working properly. More specifically, Flare is not working properly. TFS/Visual Studio are working fine - the problems are manifesting from Flare. Generally speaking, it seems like Flare folks didn't do any regression and/or integration testing when they implemented whatever it is that has caused Flare source control to no longer work properly.

It's not just you.... the way Flare is behaving is pretty schizophrenic - makes you think you've lost your mind because you see files on Pending Changes list that you KNOW you've already checked-in, or already added (seems like image files seem to have the most trouble (we use snagit to create our images).

>>>>>> UPDATE 3/14/17 - I believe the problem with image files (created in TechSmith's SnagIt) not showing the correct status in Flare's Pending Changes tab was because of the way in which I was editing the images. I would edit the image in SnagIt and let SnagIt update the image in Flare. Tech. Support suggested that I work from within Flare to edit images. That seems to result in an accurate status on the Pending Changes tab.

I have encountered all of the problems you've listed. I've submitted a number of Flare 12/TFS/Visual Studio bug reports. We've tried everything we can imagine to resolve the source control anomalies and nothing has served as a permanent solution. Flare Tech. Support had us do everything.... unbind, reimport, modify or delete registry keys, uninstall Flare and reinstall, on and on and on. The folks in Support keep saying they can't duplicate the issue (they received my project). While I understand that it's hard to troubleshoot a problem you cannot duplicate - the information I've given them is so detailed that they should be able to duplicate the problem.

Yes - I've also seen the incredible slowness with Flare version 12 (2017). I've experienced extreme mouse lag, screen refresh/repaint, and building is much slower too. Serious performance issues with this version of Flare.

>>>>>> UPDATE 3/14/17 - Uninstalled and Reinstalled Flare and that improved mouse lag and build time performance.

BTW, I'm the only user of Flare, so the issues with regard to Pending Changes tab are not due to someone not checking-in or out.

I'v been extremely disappointed by v12/2017. My management wanted us to stay with Robo, but I convinced them to give MadCap a try.... now I'm getting backlash because I championed a product that has now caused us to spend an inordinate amount of time (and resources) troubleshooting all of the problems with this version of Flare. We are so shell-shocked by the horrible state of V12/2017 that we are likely going to give-up trying to make Flare work and return to Robo.

Additionally, it seems there are variations of the same problem (I didn't discover that at first, so was submitting various cases - that I now know are all really about the same basic problems). What's frustrating is that each time I've reported the different variations of this problem - my cases have been sent to different Support Techs. and there doesn't seem to be any one tech. who is understanding the problems, and I'm hearing from different techs - who each want me to try the same steps. In other words, I had about 6 cases open - 6 different people looking at it - and 6 different techs. each asking me to do the same things. I did request that only one tech. work on all 6 cases because that seems to be the only way they will get the "big picture". Plus, I don't have time to repeat the same steps 6 times over...

Very disappointing.
Last edited by ctremblay on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, that sounds familiar.

Support did look into it, we had a remote session, and I sent them my project.
They have logged a bug, but AFAIK couldn't reproduce the issue.

I did learn that TFS integration was changed in v12 to make it more "thorough", but it looks like it has also broken things for some of us.
It's a bit annoying when Flare v11 works fine with the same projects and TFS environment.
candeelh
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by candeelh »

I am having the same source control issues and I'm using Flare with GitHub. It still shows a number of files in Pending Changes, even though I have already committed those files several times. Also, it won't allow me to do a Pull, Push or Sync because of the files still showing in the Pending Changes list. So, basically, the source control functionality is broken for multiple source control databases, not just TFS.
Candee Hellberg
Freelance Consultant
:flare: :wink: