Problems with Source-Control-Bound in Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
-BB-
Jr. Propeller Head

Problems with Source-Control-Bound in Flare

Post by -BB- »

Hey Guys,

a contributor in my Company got some Problems with the Source-Control-Bound in flare.

If its set SourceControlBound="true", the writing with flare is extremly tedious.

Whole Flare than working very slowly, adding a Picture takes more than 30 seconds. If its set true and the auto-save starts, it takes more than 1 Minute before u further can work.

Does anyone know that Problem and can help us?

We use TeamFoundationServer.
jerwhite
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Problems with Source-Control-Bound in Flare

Post by jerwhite »

My team also has this problem, however we use git for source control not TFS.

Flare 2017 apparently has this new feature:

113758 An option to disconnect from and reconnect to a source control server within the Flare UI

This I suspect may be a workaround for users like us with this lag issue. See "Disconnecting from Source Control" in the online help. It does not appear to be available for git but should be for TFS.
-BB-
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by -BB- »

Hm.. thats not what i expect for..

Is there no way to fix it in V11?
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

I'm hopefully not seen as hi-jacking this topic, but the mention of Flare 2017, GIT and slowness made me look twice.

We've been using Flare 12 since release, always updated when advised. The only slowness problem there has been deleting files.

I installed Flare 2017 yesterday, and when I ran it, it took an age to finally tell me that all was up to date, and open the Project. I initially put this down to simply a first time run.

However today it is the same slowness opening with 2017, and yet V12 responds as it has previously. Even compiling appears to take much longer.

I've compared Network Settings in Source Control, and there are no differences there.

Am I missing something?
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
-BB-
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by -BB- »

It would be fine if somebody of the MadCap Team maybe can help us.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

-BB- wrote:It would be fine if somebody of the MadCap Team maybe can help us.
For the most part, everyone here on the forums is a Flare user and not an employee of MadCap. Those who post responses do so voluntarily to help fellow users as best they can about things they have some experience with. On rare occasions, a MadCap employee responds to a forum user / post.

If you would like to get assistance from MadCap, you'll need to contact MadCap Tech Support.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

I should have added that we have Platinum Maintenance, and a case was logged around a week ago.

We've had exchanges and suggestions, and none have worked. And yet on the same system, V12 appears to be unaffected. Madcap even have the project.

I was hoping to get some idea of others experiencing slowness with Flare 2017, or even just a reaction as a new version.
George Bell
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

Just a progress up date.

Madcap got a copy of our project (last Wednesday), and on Friday say they have the same problems.
George Bell
-BB-
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by -BB- »

Techno wrote:Just a progress up date.

Madcap got a copy of our project (last Wednesday), and on Friday say they have the same problems.
Thanks for Information. it would be fine if you Keep us up to date.

May u can help other users to fix this Problem if madcap is able to fix it at your Project.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by Techno »

We cannot yet be totally certain, but it does look like Flare 2017's implementation of the git side of things is somewhat suspect in our case.

Some nasty things have crawled out of the woodwork.

First, we discovered that the two systems I use here in the UK had been failing to update the main server in the States.

Second, digging deeper and using Git Bash, a "git status" on my system here, revealed a number of "Changes to be committed" (shown in green) and "Unmerged Paths" (shown in red). There was no indication of this in Flare 2017.

With the list of "Unmerged paths", we found that when attempting to open in Flare 2017, we had a warning of corruption and could only open in the Text Editor. Hence the first job was to edit the Code - so unless you are comfortable in this area, be warned.

Third. When I used "git add" to move the corrected files to be committed, there were a few circumstances where I got a "helpful" message to say that the files did not exist - even though copied and pasted correctly.

TAKE CAREFUL NOTE HERE!
This occurs if your project contains:
1) File names containing spaces.
2) File names containing brackets.

The solution within git is to put single quotes around the file name when using the "git add" command. (We will correct these asap)

We also need to address whether or not changes to the [Project]/.git/config file are correct. It seems there are a number of issues there.

We are now at the stage where we will be merging (having taken a number of backups of the Project) which we shall be doing later today while being hand-held by our git man in the States.

More to follow.
George Bell