Source Control Option Opinions

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Wortimla
Jr. Propeller Head

Source Control Option Opinions

Post by Wortimla »

Hi guys,

I moved to a new org not long ago and they do not have any source control for documentation. I am the sole writer for the org and in between trying to learn a new tool, creating templates, and juggling projects, I haven't had much time to set up source control. However, we are now looking around and I am thoroughly confused about which one to recommend to our folks here--my only experience has been with SVN. Our Networking team is leaning towards Perforce, but going through some of the binding issues posted here on the Forum has made me a bit skeptical about it. Could ya'll please help this lost pup and share which ones worked great with Flare 11?

Thanks!

Regards,
Wortimla
roboHAL
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Source Control Option Opinions

Post by roboHAL »

Hello Wortimla -

When you indicate "...they do not have any source control for documentation", the implication is that your organization already has some kind of source control solution that they are using for some other purpose. If that is the case I would consider the source control already in use, as there would likely be the least resistance from others in your org.

If there is no source control at all, and you are considering all alternatives, now might be a good time to invest further into MadCap products http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/central

I use MS TFS and Visual Studio. I do not have familiarity with other products. :|
Wortimla
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Source Control Option Opinions

Post by Wortimla »

Hi roboHAL,

Thanks for your response. And yes, you are right. Most of our teams here use a variety of repositories, both open-source and paid. My initial proposal was to piggyback on one of the SVN repositories used by our Implementation team. But when my proposal to introduce source control for documentation went to the management team, they decided to invest in a product that can be used across the board as well. So, considering how I have a say in the product we eventually get to pick, I am trying to narrow down on one that works best with Flare--minimal maintenance, maximum performance.

Glad to learn that TFS worked for you.

Cheers! :D

-Wortimla