Best practice: New PC and existing projects bound to TFS

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
luvthepug
Propeller Head

Best practice: New PC and existing projects bound to TFS

Post by luvthepug »

I'll be getting a new laptop soon and want to know how this will affect my existing (24) Flare Projects that are bound to Team Foundation source control. I'm using Flare 2017 and Visual Studio 2010. I am a single author and I don't use any global project files.

What is the best practice when I get my new PC? Will I re-map my Flare project to identical folder locations on my new PC as I had on my old PC? Should I un-bind my projects now on my old PC and re-bind on the new PC?

I don't know what should be done or from where (Flare or Visual Studio).

Help, I'm really confused by Team Foundation and since I have 24 active Flare Projects bound to source control, I need to do this the right way.
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Best practice: New PC and existing projects bound to TFS

Post by NorthEast »

On your old PC, all you need to do is make sure you don't have anything checked-out. Check-in everything.
You don't need to unbind the projects (that just removes the TFS mapping for your user on that PC).

You should probably deactivate Flare before you move (Help > Deactivate product).

On your new PC, all you need to do is (for each project):

1) Open File > New Project > Import Project (you might have to scroll down the menu to see that option)
2) Select the project (*.flprj) from your source control, and set your local folder.

If you use this method, Flare will set up the folder mapping in TFS, and get the project files.

Do not manually set up folder mappings in Visual Studio.
luvthepug
Propeller Head

Re: Best practice: New PC and existing projects bound to TFS

Post by luvthepug »

Thank you Dave! This will MUCH easier than I had expected :D