Is it normal for switching branches to take 5+ minutes?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
skwpt
Propeller Head

Is it normal for switching branches to take 5+ minutes?

Post by skwpt »

(I run Flare on a Windows VM (OS X host.)

Most Flare operations work very quickly in my environment, but switching between master and branches can take five minutes or more. This really slows me down when I am resolving a customer-reported bug for in-market doc.

After I've make edits and committed/pushed changes to the branch, and then go back to my working version, I see lots of visuals I would not expect. For example, red check marks next to topics that I had previously committed and pushed. These topics do not appear in Pending Changes, nor does anything show up when I click Commit All. After another 5 minutes or so, the checkmarks go away.

This behavior doesn't seem normal. Before I place a call to support, I am curious if SUPER slow branch switching is something others have encountered.
Propeller Head

Re: Is it normal for switching branches to take 5+ minutes?

Post by WriterAndrew »

This is something I'm currently experiencing (swapping GitLab branches taking 5-10 minutes) in Flare 2021.
Did anyone ever find a resolution to this issue
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

What's normal for you may not be normal for others. It'll depend on the size of the Flare project and the delta between the branches you're switching back and forth between.

My practice is to not switch branches in Flare. Rather, I will have multiple copies of the same project on my hard drive, each in a parent folder that clearly identifies the branch. For example, say I have the main branch and two branches for the current and next release. So I have three copies of the project on my hard drive, each pointing to a different branch. I just open the copy of the project for the particular branch I want to work in. I can even have more than one of these projects open at the same time, in separate instances of Flare.

I also don't use Flare to create branches in the first place. I do that in the remote repo, e.g., in GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket. Similarly, I don't use Flare to merge branches. I do that in the remote repo.

It's not that Flare can't do these operations, but, like you, I've noticed that they sometime take Flare a very long time. I dunno why precisely.

Of course, an entirely different alternative is to not use Flare as your Git client, at all. Use a third-party client instead, such as SourceTree.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
WriterAndrew
Propeller Head

Post by WriterAndrew »

Some interesting options, Nita, I'll have to give them a try!
Many thanks
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

An additional note.

When you first import the project from source control, it'll be pointing to the main branch. So let's say you're trying to import a release branch into its designated folder (as I described above). You will actually need to do the switch branch operation in Flare, to switch to the branch you're interested in. Yes, it may take Flare a long time to process the switch. Just be patient. Let it do its work. Thereafter, you won't be switching branches in this copy of the project.

I hope this makes sense.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
sarrantsvt
Propeller Head

Post by sarrantsvt »

Because of those issues, I no longer use Flare as the client for Git. I use Sourcetree with Github. It's just quicker, easier, and there are fewer errors.
Doing Online Help since 1990. I remember "dots" .........
Got a bug? https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback/bugs/
Got a suggestion? https://www.madcapsoftware.com/feedback ... quest.aspx