Editing repo location

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
sitapatel
Propeller Head

Editing repo location

Post by sitapatel »

Hi,

The repo location for our Flare projects have now changed. We use TortoiseSVN and have do a switch to the new repo however the Source Control information (in the Project Properties), points to the old location. As result, I can't commit any new changes.

How would I go about updating the repo in the Source Control? Would I need to unbind the project and then rebind it with the new location?

Thanks in advance!
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Editing repo location

Post by Nita Beck »

Not unbind and rebind. The project already is in source control, albeit it with a repo in a new location, so there is no need to bind it again. Rather, you need to import a fresh copy of the project from the repo's new URL.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
sitapatel
Propeller Head

Post by sitapatel »

Thank you Nita.

The import didn't seem to work and was storing the old repo details. It only seemed to work when I did a rebind. It did crash a few times which I sent the log to Madcap.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

To make sure I understand, did you start a brand new project by using File > New Project > Import from Source Control, and then give Flare the new URL? That is the workflow I have used regularly with no difficulties.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
sitapatel
Propeller Head

Post by sitapatel »

No, they were existing projects in SVN. Even though I had tried to update the repo from Flare, the SVN properties in the .flrg file still had the old repo location.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

sitapatel wrote:No, they were existing projects in SVN. Even though I had tried to update the repo from Flare, the SVN properties in the .flrg file still had the old repo location.
You need to make a distinction between the existing local copy of the project as something different than the existing remote copy of the project in SVN. I realize that the project was already in SVN, but now it has been moved to a new location in SVN. I get all that.

As I said above, AFAIK, there isn't a way to "rebind" an existing local copy of a Flare project to a remote repo at a different URL location. But, as I also said above, you can import a fresh local copy of the Flare project from the new remote repo location.

Open Flare. Use File > New Project > Import from Source Control and work your way through the wizard, giving Flare the new URL to the remote repo. Also be sure to tell Flare to put this fresh copy someplace different than the other local copy of the project.

When you're all done and you've now got a fresh local copy of the project, abandon the old local copy. You don't need it anymore. When I've used this workflow, I outright delete the old project.
Nita