R3 Git problems! Back to R1

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

R3 Git problems! Back to R1

Post by pdenchfield »

MadCap Support confirms the following issues with Flare 2017 R3: Git SSH key not recognized and Git source control binding lost on shared machine. [EDIT: The lost source control binding may be an environmental issue... not sure.]

We're considering downgrading back to the last version we used - R1. Anyone else doing this and have cautions we should heed?
Last edited by pdenchfield on Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

Re: R3 Git problems! Back to R1

Post by trent the thief »

Thanks, Pamela. I wonder if this is why I can't publish to github?
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

Official Propeller Beanie Owner :-)

:flare: Are you on Flare's Slack channels? PM me for an invitation! :flare:
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Hi Trent, thanks for your message. We use Git repositories in Visual Studio Online (not github), and we use the Flare Publish feature to post help output on our website via FTP. All that is to say I don't know if these issues are related to github publishing. Good luck!
clpha6
Propeller Head

Post by clpha6 »

WHOA. For me, it's returning my content to what was already on Git. In my case, I'm working from blank content and adding pages. When I commit through Flare, it refreshed the page and comes back blank with just the Madcap header stuff.

ALL my work today disappeared!!
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Hi clpha6, sorry to hear it! In our case, we have successfully committed content using Git. I hope you find resolution soon. Maybe it's time for a support call? Good luck!
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

As cool as publishing to source control sounds, I think I'll fall back to manually committing with a batch file as I've always done.

Same with the built-in source control integration for projects. IMHO, it's more trouble than it's worth to use it in Flare.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Agree with the gist of your post, Trent. My experience is that the built-in source control integration in Flare is less reliable than gitbash.

Thanks,
Pamela
trent the thief
Propellus Maximus

I've test Flare with Perforce and VSS and neither panned out. The company eventually moved to CVS. VSS had issues with the number of binaries and sheer volume of files we were stuffing into it (6 writers/ ~7500 topics), plus there were still conflicts. Perforce just gave us conflicts and had way to many problems of its own to be viable (ca. ~2004).

It's only reasonable to expect a limit to the amount control you can get from Flare in this area, and there's so often a reason to use an external tool that I think it's simpler to manage source control externally.
Trent.

Certifiable.

umm...
I meant MAD Certified.

clpha6
Propeller Head

Post by clpha6 »

I'm manually using Git now. Is there a way to disable the integration with Flare? I tried unbinding in Flare, but as soon as I set up Git again through the command line, all the settings are visible again in Flare. It asks me if I want to pull every time I open Flare, and I want to make that stop.

Thanks!
pdenchfield
Propellus Maximus

Post by pdenchfield »

Good question. We keep the binding and use Flare integration to commit and push, but we rely on gitbash for major operations, such as clone, switch branch, etc.