Apply Version Label to Bound Bitbucket Repo

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
peaveygtr
Propeller Head

Apply Version Label to Bound Bitbucket Repo

Post by peaveygtr »

I would like to keep using the same Repo, but I want to be able to label the last known final version of my help system to correspond with the software version so that I can always revert or call it up if needed.

I don't see this option of labeling in the GUI of the source control window, so what do I need to do in order to do this? Is there a bitbucket console command that may be used with the flare binding, or do I need to unbind from the GUI and set all this up manually (not preferred)?

Until I figure this out, my current resolution is just to zip the project push all changes and create a new repo at the end of each point release, but this is going to hog up server space over time.
Daniel Ferguson
Propeller Head

Re: Apply Version Label to Bound Bitbucket Repo

Post by Daniel Ferguson »

What you're looking for is called a "tag" in most source control systems. A tag is basically just a label that you place on a specific commit. In your case, you could choose the last commit you made prior to your production build, and tag that commit with your version number.

You didn't specify in your post what source control system you're using, but I'm assuming you're using GIT since you've mentioned bitbucket. You can apply a tag to a commit by going to bitbucket, opening the commit you want to tag, and then in the top right corner of the screen, click the + button next to the No tags label. Fill in the tag name and the description, and create the tag. That's it.

Hope this helps. Let us know if it works.
Daniel Ferguson
Certified Flare Trainer & Consultant
smartoutput.com
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Apply Version Label to Bound Bitbucket Repo

Post by Nita Beck »

FWIW, I use the exact process that Daniel has so clearly laid out.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!