Delete/rename files while disconnected from source control?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
spordelia
Propeller Head

Delete/rename files while disconnected from source control?

Post by spordelia »

To summarize a long story, over the weekend, someone at my company decided to upgrade our TFS server and migrate it to a new location with no warning or notice. Because the new version of TFS is incompatible with my version of Flare, it broke everything. No warning--just came in one morning and could no longer access my projects. I was also getting all sorts of non-compatibility errors related to my previous TFS workspaces and mappings.

Meanwhile, I have impending deadlines for some HUGE organization-overhaul-type projects, and I can't just stop working while waiting for my Flare upgrade to be approved and purchased. Ultimately, I decided to completely disconnect from TFS, with the intent of performing a fresh import once I'm back up and running. I unbound my Flare projects, removed my mappings to the old location, and have continued working locally.

I've had to make so many changes. Adding files, renaming files, moving files, deleting files. My question is, after I upgrade to a compatible version and reconnect to source control, how can I successfully merge all the local changes I made while offline? Would the following steps work?

1. Import the project from source control to a new local project folder (not the previously mapped location).
2. Use Flare to check out all files.
3. Use Windows Explorer to delete the Project and Content folders in the new mapped location.
4. Use Windows Explorer to copy and paste the Project and Content folders from the previously mapped location, with all my local changes, to the new mapped location.
5. Use Flare to check in all files.

I want to run this by people who are smarter than I am. Would it break anything to replace the folders this way? I had to make SO many changes, and it pains me to think of having to manually copy/paste/delete/rename every file, individually, all over again.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Delete/rename files while disconnected from source contr

Post by AlexFox »

Doing anything like moving/deleting/renaming files outside of Flare will definitely break the file mappings, flare handles the files that are bound to source control in it's own workspace and performs many subtle checkins in the background when necessary. I'd forget the project you have in source control already, make all the changes you need in the current local copy and bind it as a new project when ready under Project > Project Properties > Bind.
spordelia
Propeller Head

Re: Delete/rename files while disconnected from source contr

Post by spordelia »

Thanks for your answer! I had thought of that but came up with my roundabout idea as a way to keep source control clean of obsolete projects. However, I can see that it would be too risky and sometimes the simplest solution is the best solution. Binding my local copy worked fine. Thanks again.