Unbind project file but keep it locally managed by Flare

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Niels
Propeller Head

Unbind project file but keep it locally managed by Flare

Post by Niels »

Is there any way to unbind certain files from the Flare project from (SVN) version control while keeping them locally within the project?

We are facing this challenge:
  • Want to publish with a destination.
  • The destination setup requires a local path to bind to SVN that can differ for any Flare author.
  • We do not desire the workaround to have common local paths since not all users may have the according permissions.
  • Idea: Exclude the destination files from source control so these can be managed locally based on some central guideline.
The following alternative solutions do not work:
  • "Unversion and add to exclusion list" via Tortoise SVN:
    Flare detects this as "deleted" and allows no further handling (even if the file is locally still present).
  • Using a relative path:
    The root of this path is "C:\Windows\system32", which is unacceptable for permission reasons.
  • Using a dynamic path which points to the user home "C:\Users\%username%":
    In the Flare context the variable is not evaluated and the operation fails.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Unbind project file but keep it locally managed by Flare

Post by AlexFox »

If I understand your problem correctly, I'd probably be tempted to just create a destination for each different author...
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

AlexFox wrote:If I understand your problem correctly, I'd probably be tempted to just create a destination for each different author...
Thanks.
At first glance this idea sounded quite cool but I think this approach eventually opens Pandora's box:
Each author then always has to select their own destination and we still cannot set up a global solution that works out of the box. (Still I'm always in the context of an SVN-bound project).
Maybe this could further be mitigated by introducing conditions but these would depend on the locally active user and add more complexity...

Or am I missing anything else here? Can I have a source control bound project where each user has its own default destination set?
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Niels wrote:
  • The destination setup requires a local path to bind to SVN that can differ for any Flare author.
  • We do not desire the workaround to have common local paths since not all users may have the according permissions.
Could you use a Windows drive mapping to create a common path? e.g. user A has drive z:\ mapped to c:\user A path\, and user B has drive z:\ mapped to c:\user B path\

I use drive mapping like this for my projects, as Flare project imports have to be mapped to fixed paths, but the path can be different on each user's PC.
Everyone maps drive P:\ to a Flare projects folder.
lh_writer
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by lh_writer »

Is there any way to use a relative path as the destination?