Is local TFS workspace needed with server TFS workspace?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Boone
Propeller Head

Is local TFS workspace needed with server TFS workspace?

Post by Boone »

:?:
Our Flare projects are stored on a server in Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2013. So, for instance, my PROJECT 1 is stored in TFS server folder location Flare/Projects/Project 1. My question is, is it necessary, or recommended to also create a local TFS workspace on my computer for these Flare/Projects?

I am able to interact with my Flare PROJECT 1, e.g. check out, check in, etc. from the TFS server location without having a local TFS workspace. Some of my colleagues have a local TFS workspace on their computer and are also able to interact with project 1 - although at times I'm not sure if they are interacting with their local workspace copy, or the server workspace copy.

Thanks for any insights into recommended practices for server vs local TFS workspace.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Is local TFS workspace needed with server TFS workspace?

Post by AlexFox »

I can't realistically see any use for a local workspace with Flare. Local workspaces are generally for testing code in isolation before merging up all of your changes and they present limitations that you don't have when working directly in the server workspace.
Boone
Propeller Head

Re: Is local TFS workspace needed with server TFS workspace?

Post by Boone »

Thanks so much for the reply!

I was thinking the same thing but wanted corraboration. The TFS environment the Flare users in my group are working with was set up by someone in our Software Department, and I think they just set it up as they normally do for the software development team; namely - as you said, for testing their code in isolation. The fact that some of our Flare users have the local workspace and some don't is causing issues and I want to get everyone off the local workspace - I just wanted to know I was heading in the right direction.