Undesired Published Resources with Output Type Word

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Niels
Propeller Head

Undesired Published Resources with Output Type Word

Post by Niels »

We use Subversion (based on TortoiseSVN 1.9.4) with MadCap Flare 2017 r3.
We have defined a dedicated target and destination for publishing the output type MS Word based on a dedicated Master Page Layout for MS Word.

For no obvious reason the outcome of the publish process contains resources that we actually do not desire to publish in subfolders:
  • Resources\Images
  • Resources\PageLayouts
How can we avoid to have these items published or why does this happen in the first place?
Niels
Propeller Head

Re: Undesired Published Resources with Output Type Word

Post by Niels »

Found answer:
This is the default behavior, which is not related directly to source control. It can be changed by an advanced target option to embed images in Word output.
(I still do not understand why the page layouts need to be published in the default case...)
Last edited by Niels on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Niels wrote:(I still do not understand why the page layouts need to be published in the default case...)
I had a similar thing happen for me, except that it was an image. I don't recall exactly what I had done to make the error happen, but it turns out that I was calling one particular image the wrong way, and so Flare saw it at a linked resource and so included that image as a standalone file that "sat next to" the Word doc that was generated. I wonder if there is someplace a direct link from a topic to the page layout file, so the page layout file is being output as a linked resource. Typically, page layouts are associated with TOC items, not directly with topics.

HTH
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Niels
Propeller Head

Post by Niels »

Nita,
The issue with undesired images also occurs every now and then when I publish an edited source as PDF. In this scenario the image unexpectedly is fitted with an undesired hyperlink to itself. I currently assume that this is caused in some cases when I drag and drop an image into the XML editor but I have not analysed this any further. At least there is an easy way to fix this by removing the hyperlink.
Hoping that this can make someone else happy :D