Versioning newbie

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
kerimucci
Propeller Head

Versioning newbie

Post by kerimucci »

My apologies, but I am extremely confused as to how to manage my projects in Flare using Git. I have been using Flare for years, but never with source control. And I didn't find Flare's Source Control User Guide to be very helpful. :(

I am the sole technical author at the moment. I need to ensure there is a way to maintain old versions of our documentation (release notes/user guides) in addition to create new documentation as we release new software. Today I started documenting v2.0.4 of our Deployment Guide. Up until this point, I wrote everything in the "Master" branch. I only had to update one topic, so I created a new branch that I named "2.0.4", and then made my changes there and published the new PDF from there. Question is, what happens going forward?

All future releases will require the same updated topic. Do I now commit/push all my changes that I made in the new branch and continue to work there until we release the next software version? And then create a branch for "2.0.5" when that happens?
Also, does this mean I do not have to create new TOCs/Targets specific to each release if I am working within a new branch each time?
Do this then mean I only return to "Master" to maintain all the old docs?

Thank you for your help!
amygil
Propeller Head

Re: Versioning newbie

Post by amygil »

We use git for our documentation. When we do a release, we branch the release. The master is the development version. That would solve your issue, I would think.