Bind Detection: applied to all projects by default?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
tpmtpm56
Propeller Head

Bind Detection: applied to all projects by default?

Post by tpmtpm56 »

If Bind Detection is set for one project, it appears that Flare automatically applies Bind Detection to all projects:
- True?
- If true, is it possible to switch off this behavior?

We have products that require Bind Detection, and others that do not.
Every time I open a Flare project for a project without Bind Detection, Flare goes through the motions of detecting a source control system. This is frustrating, as the projects are quite large and I spend lots of time hitting cancel, unselecting Bind Detection, only to have to repeat the process every time I open the project without Bind Detection.

Anyone have/know how to solve this problem?

Thanks
ElectricCo
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Bind Detection: applied to all projects by default?

Post by ElectricCo »

It's true that bind detection is a global setting, but the actual source control binding is stored in the project file, so you can indeed have some projects that are set up in source control and some that are not without waiting for the detection every time. The detection is only used to let Flare identify projects that are in source control but that don't yet have binding set up in Flare. Once the binding is set up in the project file, Flare sees that it's bound to source control when you open it whether the detection setting is enabled or not. The bind settings in the project file also apply for all users who check it out of source control, so only one person has to set up the binding. You're right that detection takes significant time in a lot of cases, so I typically leave it turned off, and turn it on only in the rare case that I'm opening a relatively new project that I want to bind.

And you don't actually have to use the detection at all. You can set up source control binding manually when you create a new project or later in the project properties, but I do find that it's a bit easier and less problematic to let Flare detect the binding itself after I've committed a new project to source control outside of Flare. Just my personal preference.