New project from source control _without_ project file?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

New project from source control _without_ project file?

Post by oceanclub »

Can a new user with Flare import a project from source control _without_ having the project file in the first place?

For example, I just did File > New > Import Project from Source, then specified the required details to import from Git.

However, when I click Next, I'm prompted to browse for a project file.

I can't understand why this isn't just imported, as it means the user has to first acquire this somehow (via email) from another user?

P.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: New project from source control _without_ project file?

Post by Nita Beck »

It's not that the user needs to HAVE the project file already. But the user definitely needs to know WHERE the project is stored in the source control repository so that the user can navigate to that location. Once there, the user will see the project file (.flprj) listed and so can select it and continue with the import process.

Flare can't "just import" a project. I mean, in my BitBucket workspace, I've got multiple repos. How can Flare possibly know which one I want to import? In my client's SVN server, there are well over 50 Flare projects. How can Flare possible know which one I want?

It all needs to start with the URL to where the project is located. And, yes, someone has to give the user the URL, or the user needs to use a tool to view the source control server's offerings to find the URL him- or herself.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!