"Commit required to synchronize"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

"Commit required to synchronize"

Post by chuck_agari »

OK, I hate Git. Most everyone I have every talked to hates Git. Yet it's still used, seemingly everywhere. So I muddle along.

I was able to get my Flare project successfully in Git, GitHub, to be exact. It's not the fastest, to be sure, largely because I'm on a MBP in Parallels and my project is on a shared drive.

I thought I had a workflow down: View the Pending Changes, commit the changes, and then synchronize. This worked successfully several times, and I was happy. But it seems it worked because I had committed all the files that changed.

I then began work on several tickets at once. I got one done, and wanted to "check in" only the files for that ticket. I committed 2 files, the files I had finished with, and tried to synchronize. I got a dialog box:

Commit required to synchronize.
Do you want to commit now?
- Yes - - No -

If I click "Yes," I get the "option" to commit the rest of the files that I've changed. If I click "No," nothing happens--at least as far as I can tell.

I'm guessing that "Synchronize" is the wrong step to take to "check in" a subset of changed files, but I don't know what the correct step would be--if it is even possible in the Flare UI.

Any Git experts can give me some guidance?
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: "Commit required to synchronize"

Post by Nita Beck »

In order to invoke any operation in which your local repo will interact with the remote repo, you have to first make sure that all pending changes are committed to the local repo. This means that before you can push, pull, or sync, if there are pending changes, Flare will prompt you to commit to your local repo. This interaction between the local and remote repos is standard Git, AFAIK.

On the Pending Changes list (which I tend not to use, so I’m going on memory here), aren’t you able to selectively choose which files you want to commit? But, even so, you won’t be able to sync with (or push to or pull from) the remote repo until everything’s committed to your local repo.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: "Commit required to synchronize"

Post by chuck_agari »

Yeah, that's what I did--or tried to do. I had 2 files that I had finished with, so I wanted to synchronize those to the remote repository, while other files I was still working on for other Jiras.

The latter, I'm still tracking changes on, and I don't want any files with tracked changes in the remote repository. Or at least, I think i don't. I was thinking that I wanted "clean" files "up there." Am I wrong to think that way?