Exclude files from source control within Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Exclude files from source control within Flare?

Post by chuck_agari »

Is it possible to exclude specific files from source control management (Git/GitHub, in this case) from within Flare? I have a number of files in my project, such as review targets and the TOCs that I use for them, that simply don't need to be in source control.

When I right-click on one of these files, these are all the source control commands I see available to me:
flaresourcecontrol.png
Yes, I know I can edit .gitignore manually. I have already done that, but tracking down exactly which files I want ignored and where they are in the project tree, and then entering them manually without fat-fingering them is just plain a PITA. Flare should have functionality to do this in its UI, and I don't see it. (And yes, I know that letting Flare do this risks it changing anything manually done, but I still would rather do it this way.) So is it there somewhere and I'm just missing it, or it is actually missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by chuck_agari on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexFox
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Exclude files form source control within Flare?

Post by AlexFox »

Forgive the ignorance, but couldn't you just never check them in in the first place after you create them?
chuck_agari
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Exclude files form source control within Flare?

Post by chuck_agari »

AlexFox wrote:Forgive the ignorance, but couldn't you just never check them in in the first place after you create them?
As I understand how Git works, specifically within Flare, Flare/Git monitors all changes within the project, and all pending changes must be committed before Flare can synchronize with the GitHub repo.

Git uses the .gitignore file to determine what to exclude from monitoring. Rather than figure out the specific path names to the files I want ignored and risking fat fingering them in the .gitignore file, I'd prefer using the Flare interface to add files to .gitignore. I can't figure out if that can be done by looking through the UI or the manuals.