Git: "Save per user" and "Save per project"

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
IUseItAsACrash
Propeller Head

Git: "Save per user" and "Save per project"

Post by IUseItAsACrash »

Hi folks -

I know this has been asked before (with no answer given), so I'll just try again:

What is the difference between the two options in the Bind project dialog? The explanation in the manual doesn't really clear up things for me.

I am the sole technical writer, apart from Lingo and Capture/Snagit no other tools are used for creating the documentation.

Thanks in advance,
Crash
IUseItAsACrash
Propeller Head

Re: Git: "Save per user" and "Save per project"

Post by IUseItAsACrash »

I just received the following answer from MadCap support, which I'll add here in case anybody else has issues with this:
Save per user means that if you're working on multiple projects it will use the same user ID or user account for all projects.

Save per project means that you will have a different user ID for every project. This would be more commonly used if you're working on different projects for different companies or people and you would want the user ID different for each one.

Typically people use the per user option, it gives the added benefit of being able to use a third party tool such as Tortoise or SourceTree to keep the same user identity when pushing files. These credentials are often associated with identifying who pushed and created a specific commit message.
This cleared up things for me.
sunil_panchal
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Git: "Save per user" and "Save per project"

Post by sunil_panchal »

IUseItAsACrash wrote:I just received the following answer from MadCap support, which I'll add here in case anybody else has issues with this:
Save per user means that if you're working on multiple projects it will use the same user ID or user account for all projects.

Save per project means that you will have a different user ID for every project. This would be more commonly used if you're working on different projects for different companies or people and you would want the user ID different for each one.

Typically people use the per user option, it gives the added benefit of being able to use a third party tool such as Tortoise or SourceTree to keep the same user identity when pushing files. These credentials are often associated with identifying who pushed and created a specific commit message.
This cleared up things for me.
Thanks for posting this!