Git: No longer pushing changes to Git

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Git: No longer pushing changes to Git

Post by oceanclub »

I'm using Madcap Flare 2018 r2 in conjunction with an Azure Git repo.

Everything was fine until yesterday but i have only just noticed that although Source Control > Synchronize looks like it works fine (no error messages) in fact my changes are not being sent to the Git remote repository. Since there is no error message I have no idea what is happening - does anyone know if Flare produces log files I could check?

P.
Folkie
Propeller Head

Re: Git: No longer pushing changes to Git

Post by Folkie »

We use Git with BitBucket. I've had this happen twice and after a lot of searching the only solution I found was to unbind the project from the original BitBucket repository, create a new repository and bind to that instead. Then it all worked fine until the next time the same thing happened (it hasn't happened for a third time - yet!) At least I know this solution works (for BitBucket at least) and I didn't lose any work.

I suspect it's some kind of indexing problem caused by conflicting changes made by me and my Munich-based colleague (I'm in the UK). Flare doesn't seem to ever report conflicts as the online help says it should, but I'm pretty sure we sometimes do have them, no matter how careful and rigorous we are to avoid working on the same files, and that that's the cause of any Git issues.

We've also had problems if we rename a topic file and then make changes in the body of the topic without committing and pushing it first. It's always safest to do that sort of thing as two completely separate actions. Not sure whether it's BitBucket or Git that goes into a strop when we forget that one.

Nearly forgot, of course my colleague also had to start using the new repository as well, so she just used the Import Project from Source Control Wizard to get the new version from the new repository.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Post by Nita Beck »

Folkie wrote:We've also had problems if we rename a topic file and then make changes in the body of the topic without committing and pushing it first. It's always safest to do that sort of thing as two completely separate actions. Not sure whether it's BitBucket or Git that goes into a strop when we forget that one.
In my experience, this is not limited to Flare's Git integration. I've seen this with Subversion as well.

A best practice I advise my clients of is to do renames/moves and edits as separate operations. If you've been editing a topic and when decide to rename/move it, first commit those edits. If you've renamed/moved a topic and now want to edit it, first commit the rename/move.
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
oleksandr_kokoshyn
Propeller Head

Post by oleksandr_kokoshyn »

My colleague and I had similar problems - Push/Synchronize buttons not working, we are using BitBucket. We've tried all solutions suggested by support, on one occasion they helped, on other occasions they didn't.
We've stopped using Flare's UI for source control and started using TortoiseGit - it works flawlessly.