Git and merging changes from branches

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Git and merging changes from branches

Post by oceanclub »

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Git (from SVN) so perhaps there's an obvious reason for this:

Once we completed a version of a documentation set, I created a tag for it - v7.

Then on our main branch, we continued development for v8.

However, I needed to go back and make some changes to the v7 branch. So I used Git Bash to check out the tag as a separate branch (*) to an entirely separate folder:

Code: Select all

git checkout -b newbranch v7
(*) There appeared to be no way to do this from inside Flare so presume I did the right thing.

Anyway, have made my changes to that branch as required. In the Source Control ribbon there is a "Merge" button. When I click on that, a dialog box "Select branch to merge" is displayed, with a drop-down field "Please select branch to merge into v7', and a value of "master".

However, I want to do the opposite - I want to merge my changes from my v7 branch into my master.

When I check the instance of Flare for my master, the Merge button is actually greyed out. I've no idea why that is.

Any help appreciated,

Paul
sboltz
Propeller Head

Re: Git and merging changes from branches

Post by sboltz »

Did you switch branches in Flare? I find that you need to have the branch that you want to merge into open and then you can merge from the other branch into it. At least that's how it works for me. I'm currently using GitLab.
Suzette