Is Git and merging broken in Flare?

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Is Git and merging broken in Flare?

Post by oceanclub »

Everytime I have tried to do a Git synchronise in Flare where a merge is involved, the sync ends up freezing (not even responding to the Cancel button being pressed) and the whole operation is left in an indeterminate state.

When I try “git push” from Git Bash I get:

To https://dev.azure.com/Acme/MyGuide/_git/MyGuide
! [rejected] master -> master (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'https://Acme@dev.azure.com/Acme/MyGuide/_git/MyGuide'
hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is behind
hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.
hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

Yet when I then try “git pull” I get:

error: You have not concluded your merge (MERGE_HEAD exists).
hint: Please, commit your changes before merging.
fatal: Exiting because of unfinished merge.

“git commit” gives me:

$ git commit
fatal: Unable to create 'C:/Flare/MyGuide/.git/index.lock': File exists.

Another git process seems to be running in this repository, e.g.
an editor opened by 'git commit'. Please make sure all processes
are terminated then try again. If it still fails, a git process
may have crashed in this repository earlier:
remove the file manually to continue.

I’ve tried deleting the index.lock file with no luck.
sboltz
Propeller Head

Re: Is Git and merging broken in Flare?

Post by sboltz »

Did you get this resolved? I don't know how much help I'll be, but I've run into similar issues with GitLab.

I had to compare files and manually resolve them. Then I was able to get it to work. If you're familiar with the source and destination changes, you might be able to get away with an approach like this if there aren't too many changes. Just look for conflicts. I think in two cases I manually copied the file content from one branch over to the other one so they'd both be the same.
Suzette
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

sboltz wrote:Did you get this resolved? I don't know how much help I'll be, but I've run into similar issues with GitLab.

I had to compare files and manually resolve them. Then I was able to get it to work. If you're familiar with the source and destination changes, you might be able to get away with an approach like this if there aren't too many changes. Just look for conflicts. I think in two cases I manually copied the file content from one branch over to the other one so they'd both be the same.
Hi, no resolution. Even when we stopping using sync and instead use commit->pull->push, I still run into issues where the pull will freeze and I've later inadvertently overwritten colleague's work (luckily a git revert from the command line works).

P.
WriterAndrew
Propeller Head

Post by WriterAndrew »

Sorry, I can't help with this, but just wanted to say that this is driving me insane (well, more than I am already!)
From what I have experienced, it is more likely to happen if the branches being merged are a long way out of sync... but until I get to a fixed known point (usually a release) I don't want to merge branches....
Grrr!
oceanclub
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by oceanclub »

Just to note that since the most recent Flare update, Git seems to be a lot more usable and we haven't run into as many problems.

P.