Moving Topics to Folders

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Moving Topics to Folders

Post by Techno »

Does anyone else, using GIT for source control, have issues when moving multiple Topics from one folder to another?

We have a fully up to date Windows 10 system, 32 GB of RAM, an I7 processor, an SSD and the latest Flare, we are being plagued with errors.

If we try to move more than one Topic at a time, only one will actually move, or at worst, Flare will totally freeze to the point where we have the give it the three fingered salute.

We have been in contact with Technical Support or a number of occasions, but in spite of logging on to our system, and seeing the issues for themselves, they have not yet come up with a solution.
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.
Nita Beck
Senior Propellus Maximus

Re: Moving Topics to Folders

Post by Nita Beck »

Out of curiosity, are you having issues with moving editing topics? Or the reverse, editing topics after moving them?

In my experience using Flare with both Subversion and Git, I need to commit edits and moves/renames as separate operations. If I first move/rename, then I commit those changes before then editing. If I first edit, then I commit those changes before then moving/renaming.

Just a thought...
Nita
RETIRED, but still fond of all the Flare friends I've made. See you around now and then!
Techno
Sr. Propeller Head

Re: Moving Topics to Folders

Post by Techno »

We always start any move in a situation where there are no changed files to be saved.

Just one of the problems is that we have no idea when an error will come up after we initiate the move. What happens is that even if 4 or 5 have been successful immediately prior to the error, if we go to Commit, there are no files listed. Up until that point, the moved files, and any liked ones, can be seen if you Commit.

We the have to go to gitbash, enter "git add ." then "git push". Only when we close and re-open Flare, and are asked it we wish to update the repository, will it tell us we must commit first, when the files will magically appear.

It has driven us nuts as we had to move the contents of two folders into another. Over 600 files in total. (If that sounds crazy, we have to thank Apple, who have a limit on path/file lengths!!!)

As if all that was tiresome, Move did not change "TOC" entries, hence we ended up with a huge mess of "Broken Links". Well if Flare's Analysis can see the links are broken, why did the Move process not see them? Madcap support did not have an answer for that question.

Some Unknown Crazy Konundrum in the System? (I'll let you work out that acronym)
George Bell
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd., U.K.