HELP- Need Basic Instruction in GitHub

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
shloter
Propeller Head

HELP- Need Basic Instruction in GitHub

Post by shloter »

Our company has moved from Microsoft TFS to GitHub and we need to transition our source control. We are at a loss on how to get Flare to integrate with Git and how our previous processes may need to be updated (MadCap documentation is not working for us). We do not have company support for instruction. Can anyone recommend resources for importing projects from GitHub and how to use Git for multiple author integration?

Any assistance is much appreciated.
Stephanie
HyperMom
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: HELP- Need Basic Instruction in GitHub

Post by HyperMom »

Stephanie,

So no one has replied to you on this? That is very concerning!?

We were kicking using Git for our documentation even though I am the only tech writer so far. But seeings how you got no help here in the community, I will be re-thinking this move!

Thank you for posting this revealing question!

Mary
PS: If someone privately responded, please let me know? Thanks.
doloremipsum
Sr. Propeller Head

Post by doloremipsum »

It would probably help more if you asked some specific questions or pointed out what wasn't working instead of a general call for 'basic instruction'! It's hard to tell what you actually need help with (source control in general? integration with Flare? any number of minor issues that I might know how to solve?).

As for resources, I don't specifically use Github myself, but I'm sure their documentation includes basic instructions and information about how Git works. As for integration with Flare, there are lots of potholes along the way. When you hit one you should start by searching this forum, and if nothing comes up you can post a specific question and I'm sure someone will help you. And if all else fails, the secret is that you don't actually need to use the Flare integration. Free tools like GitExtensions have worked much better for me even after we got our integration working.
in hoc foro dolorem ipsum amamus, consectimur, adipisci volumus.
kimzaidain
Jr. Propeller Head

Post by kimzaidain »

I got this helpful information from a user in the MadCap Flare Slack channel:

"Are you trying to use Flare to access git or GitHub? As far as I know, Flare does not interoperate with GitHub. SO don't use Flare to try to authenticate to your remote git repo. Instead, use the git command line or a GUI frontend to get enable your local git repo to exchange files with your remote git repo. Flare then "rides atop" that authentication..."

In our case, we use Github using 2-factor authentication. I have not yet been able to get the authentication to work. I have support ticket in to MC about it, but maybe it's the problem that I have referenced above, that Flare doesn't actually connect to Github.

I'll update this issue when I have some info back from Flare support (very slow, it's been 24 hours already but crickets).