Trouble with checked out files.

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
Yor
Jr. Propeller Head

Trouble with checked out files.

Post by Yor »

I’m having trouble with some files in Madcap Flare. The files I want to edit are checked out in Source safe by another user. The problem is the users that have the files checked out have quit the job. Is there any way to get the files checked back in? Or is this something I have to do in Source safe? I’m just taking over this project so I’m not wery used to working with Flare yet.

English is not my mother language but, hopefully you get the point. :)
SteveS
Senior Propellus Maximus
Location: Adelaide, far side of the world ( 34°56'0.78\"S 138°46'44.28\"E).

Re: Trouble with checked out files.

Post by SteveS »

Hi Yor,

Welcome to the forums. :D

My first preference would be to use the ex-employees login to check everything back in. Hopefully your IT people can reset their passwords so you can log in.

Second preference would be to use the Source Safe program to check everything back in. Hopefully you will have someone responsible for source control who can do that for you. If you are using VSS there is a command line option that checks in changed files.

You could try changing the proiperties of the file from read only to read. You will be able to retrieve the content, but you might end up breaking your source control heirarchy. Use this as a last resort and back up everything before you start.

Remember, Flare is only a client of your source control - this problem lies with the source control software rather than Flare. And shame on your IT people if they have deleted the ex employee profiles before investigating what they have checked out of source control. :shock:
Steve
Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad red wine.
Yor
Jr. Propeller Head

Re: Trouble with checked out files.

Post by Yor »

Thanks for the welcome! :)

Good advice, I think I will have to see if I can get her login or call helpdesk to see if the can remotely check in the files. Was kinda hoping for a magic force check in button hehe. Thanks for the help!

This is a good forum have found answers to a few questions I have had, so keep up the good work!