Bound project to TFS and now it hangs

This forum is for all Flare issues related to using Source Control.
lauraj
Propeller Head

Bound project to TFS and now it hangs

Post by lauraj »

I have a Flare project that has always been checked into source control (TFS), but not bound. This week I decided to bind it, since we have a new writer and it would be easier to work with the tools using the binding. I bound the project yesterday morning; it worked fine as I was editing all day, but hung a couple of times when I closed Flare. No big, I was on the way out anyway so I killed it with task manager.. :? Today I decided to show the new capability to the new writer. When I opened my project in Flare, Flare hung for over ten minutes. I called off the experiment :roll: , let the poor new guy off the phone and headed in to try to unbind the project. So far it's hung each time I've tried to open it. I have never seen Flare hang in this manner before, ever.

I think I'll assume I will be able to get in this afteroon and won't ask that question... :roll:
Does anyone know why I'm seeing these problems? I would still like to be able to use the integration with TFS.
- Laura
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Re: Bound project to TFS and now it hangs

Post by NorthEast »

We had exactly the same problems, when we opened Flare it could hang for 20mins or for a few hours. We tried it out for about 3 weeks, and the project was unusable for about 40% of the time.

I put in a support request, and tried out a few things with our TFS system admin, but we didn't find a solution. In the end time was going by, so I just gave up on TFS and switched to using VSS as that worked fine.
lauraj
Propeller Head

Post by lauraj »

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Introducing another source control system into our processes isn't a reasonable option for us, so I'll continue to check files in and out of TFS manually.
- Laura
NorthEast
Master Propellus Maximus

Post by NorthEast »

Yep, if you're the only author using the project, then it is easy enough to manually check out the whole project whilst you work on it. We have a team of authors using the project, so we couldn't really do that.
Anyway, good luck!
lauraj
Propeller Head

Post by lauraj »

Has there been any progress on this problem?

I don't seem to have mentioned it before, but I'm *not* always the only writer on a project, and I *do* have to use TFS, so when I'm coauthoring with another writer there's a lot of jumping windows to check files in and out manually. The source code binding feature just isn't there for me and I sure wish it were.
- Laura